sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Would A Explore scientific wa be the same as the Tv naglers

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

At present myself and Astro baby are trying to do a three way shoot out between the ES 30mm, Nagler 31mm and Pentax 30mm. Unfortunately the weather and light evenings have kinda halted it at the momen

Hmmmm I have yet to ever get that test done - Swamp Thing mentioned me and him testing the Nag, Pentax and ES 30mms all together and its depressing to see that was done in July 2013 and ever since I h

Hi Gerry, In this focal range, I use a 13mm Nagler T6, I also have the 9mm and 7mm T6. The eyepiece's are parfocal and each provides a sharp and contrasting star field in my 300p. I also like the comp

Naglers are perhaps the best money can buy and boy do they cost a lot of money! But we should not discount the ES eyepieces either. They are practically clones of Naglers one way or another and come for a decent cost. They are excellent quality and I personally dont think anyone could tell the difference specially of you are using 80 degree eyepieces. The view will simply knock your socks off and you wont care about what eyepiece it is anymore. :)

At present myself and Astro baby are trying to do a three way shoot out between the ES 30mm, Nagler 31mm and Pentax 30mm. Unfortunately the weather and light evenings have kinda halted it at the moment.

Initial observations have the Pentax and Nagler very close with the ES slightly behind. This is early days though, many more observations are needed to call this one.

Keep an eye on the review section as Mel will do a proper write up once we have reached some conclusions. :)

• Like 6

there are several aspects to consider when buying eyepieces. I buy most of mine used and the resale value is important to me. with TV/Pentax and a few others you'll find the resale value of a bought used item will be much the same as the price you pay. this way you can buy and not lose money after a period of trial/enjoyment.

optically, I'd imagine them to be very similar or even identical in a slow scope but I'd expect Pentax/TV to pull ahead in a faster scope (especially with no coma corector in the case of a newtonian). personally though I'd sooner save a bit longer and buy TV, this being my preference. the differences are most often seen when you are looking at things on the edge of visibility although in reality anything of a certain standard of quality (like all the eyepieces being discussed) will show broadly the same sort of thing.

I use ES eyepieces alot (check my signature) and they are good for the price. I would like to see them against a Nagler, I've yet to see this. I find the views in all the ES eyepieces carries a little bit of a yellow tint, maybe it's just my eye. On brighter objects at least. Possibly some minor CA introduced by the optics.

I use fast newts only, with my primary scope being an F4.6 and my others F4.7 and F5. This no doubt effects the views.

the view in my BGO, for instance, is a neutral clean colour and I always notice the view in the ES is a little bit dirty by comparison. Still fantastic views and very well corrected eyepieces all round, it's just the higher magnifications I think tend to introduce this tinting a bit more as you notice it on lunar / planets. I'm considering swapping out my lower end for something a bit more premium like Delos.

EDIT: I say considering, it very much is not required to swap them out.. the views are, I would say, 98% perfect. I'm just the sort of person who thinks about the 2% alot compared to 98%. In reality the eyepieces are amazing and at £100-£250 each they are very very very good. I do not in any way regret buying them. I personally think my biggest issue with them is the eye relieft which I think is comparable to Naglers anyway and is the main (perhaps only proper) reason I am considering Delos. the yellow tint is really only there if you look for it, no one who has looked into my eyepieces has seen it until I pointed it out and even then they said it was vague to their eye at best (whereas to me it's quite obvious).

Edited by Stargazer_00

Hello Steve,

" At present myself and Astro baby are trying to do a three way shoot out between the ES 30mm, Nagler 31mm and Pentax 30mm. "

very interesting! I have one proposal to make:

Could you please test them with a very slow scope too?

For example with an f/20 or f/25 or even an f/30 or so Schiefspiegler?

I asume the differences in light scatter would be seen better at higher magnification.

Cheers, Karsten

At present myself and Astro baby are trying to do a three way shoot out between the ES 30mm, Nagler 31mm and Pentax 30mm. Unfortunately the weather and light evenings have kinda halted it at the moment.

Initial observations have the Pentax and Nagler very close with the ES slightly behind. This is early days though, many more observations are needed to call this one.

Keep an eye on the review section as Mel will do a proper write up once we have reached some conclusions. :)

Shame you haven't got a Celestron Axiom 31mm to complete the set - If I had known I would have lent you mine (I wasn't using it) but BomberBaz owns that one now.

Shame you haven't got a Celestron Axiom 31mm to complete the set - If I had known I would have lent you mine (I wasn't using it) but BomberBaz owns that one now.

And a 28mm UWAN / Nirvana. I reviewed the Nagler 31, the Pentax 30 and the Nirvana 28mm a couple of years back on here and found the latter very close to the Nagler indeed.

I'm like Shane though, I only have one hobby so I'm happy to pay the extra for Tele Vue :smiley:

i love my nirvanas and find them up to now as good as my nagler, but i havnt used it under proper dark skys yet, also im viewing through a sct. i have read your reviews on thiis shoot out many times john and still enjoy it :grin:

Edited by faulksy

For the price of a 21mm ethos compared to a 20mm ES 100° i could get the ES and a Televue parcor for less than the price of the ethos.its all well and good going for the best but im sure the ES eyepieces are better value for money :)

it's each to their own. I'd get the paracorr and a 26mm Nagler. I buy used personally although the 26mm Nagler was one of the only eyepieces I have ever bought new as they had the 20% off sale a while back. at £360 new delivered I could not go wrong. you get about the same field with no effort. each to their own though as always and there's no right and wrong way.

How would a ES 14mm 100 FOV perform in an F5 scope? Any ideas???

I have an ES 20mm 100 and it works pretty well in my 12" F/5.3. There is a little coma at the edges of the field of view but that is down to the scope rather than the eyepiece.

How would a ES 14mm 100 FOV perform in an F5 scope? Any ideas???

works grand in my f4.5, the mirror shows coma obviously. a cc helps with that though.

Barry

Should add that my first televue's were plossls, which I still use alongside my naglers. They can be purchased used for around £45 - £50. Naglers are often available second hand to.

Televue (for which I have gradually built up a collection of nine e.p's) provides the magic formula in both my F10 and F4.9 scopes.

Televue (for which I have gradually built up a collection of nine e.p's) provides the magic formula in both my F10 and F4.9 scopes.

Hello Iain which TV eyepieces do you have exactly?I'm looking for a TV in the 12-14mm range for DSO's in an f4.7 Dob-what is your favorite in the 300p in this focal range?

Thanks

Hi Gerry, In this focal range, I use a 13mm Nagler T6, I also have the 9mm and 7mm T6. The eyepiece's are parfocal and each provides a sharp and contrasting star field in my 300p. I also like the compactness and light weight. They might be a lttle tight on eye relief for some people at 12mm, although I do not wear glasses and have no concerns myself when observing.

• Like 1

I have F 5 (TV 101) and f 10 Meade Lx 90) scopes. I have TV EPs and the ES 14 100 degree. The latter is wonderful in both scopes and the TVs (ethos, nagler and delos) are better in fact the best > darker, sharper and great contrast. ES is very good value but if you want great EPs go TV but of course there is a price to be paid. I am not familiar with how pentax EPs would look in these scopes.

buy used and some of the older units are great value. I got a fantasitc 16mm Nagler type 2 for just over £100. it's really great and often I prefer it to my 13mm Ethos.

buy used and some of the older units are great value. I got a fantasitc 16mm Nagler type 2 for just over £100. it's really great and often I prefer it to my 13mm Ethos.

Hi Shane,I would love to try the other Televues,but being new here I don't know which ones would be good...I'm not too familiar with the different "T's"(T2,T4 etc).There is a fellow in Winnipeg with the 13mmEthos a couple Naglers and 4 Radians,but these are all packaged for an "emergency" sale with all the rest of his gear-the emergency is lasting quite a while I found out-he didn't want me to drive down for a look,but I'll keep tabs on the stuff.In the older Televues which ones (if not all) are good?