Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC7000 & Pelican with 200mm lens (cropped)

fwm891

This is an image from last night - 38 of 46 x 60s subs, unmodified DSLR, ISO 1600, f3.2. Mounted on NEQ3 driven head but not guided. Used a new piece of capture software (to me) for Nikons - 'Control My Nikon' ($29 download or free trial) still doesn't do bulb settings at the moment but I'm informed that an update or new version later this year will solve that. If you have a programmable release it will give buld settings via the release - hence the 60s subs.

These were stacked in DSS and further enhanced in PS SC3.

post-14748-0-83573400-1373293689_thumb.p

Thanks Michael / Daniel - like these as you can just let them run while you do other things - need to get the guiding sorted out on this mount so I can get longer subs and enrich the colours a little.

It was my understanding that the Nikon timer control chips don't do over 30 seconds. How would the updated version of that control software work ? This has been the main problem with Nikons so far. This star eater thing is a red herring these days.

I know I can do over 30 seconds with my D7000 but not via direct software. I use IR control via my laptop or, like you, the programmable release.

Developers have been promising this stuff for years. There was talk of a hack but it's all gone quiet.

Dave.

Hi Dave, I tried the current full trial version (4.2) out and emailed them to find out about the bulb settings control. Their email to me stated that a new (update/version) of 'Control My Nikon' was scheduled for later this year and it would address the bulb setting control problem.

I've tried umpteen different 'free' nikon control programs - even the Nikon one (NCC) and this beats all of them - I paid the $29 and loaded it on my laptop and desktop PC's (upto 3 machines per registration). It provides a screen to set-up multi exposures (time lapse) with variable exposures (upto 30s) /delays. At the moment I use a programmable timer, which is not that much of a problem as my obsy is just outside the back door.

I used to use Camera Control from DIY Photo Bits which is free and does sequencing, will display the sub on the laptop etc.
Course it also won't do bulb mode. I've never really undserstood why you can't just fire two shutter commands at the camera - one to open the shutter and the other to close it but it obviously ain't that simples!

Hi again Francis,

It sounds a good piece of software.

So far all this talk of software control has been pure vapour. I hope they've found a way round the internal operating system of the camera.

I forgot to say well done on the image ! Well done :)

Dave.

Re commanding the shutter open then closed. Up to now it's all been external IE. IR or programmable release. Non of them have ever got round the timing chip. I heard there was a Russian hack a few years ago but if you brick the camera it could be dead forever.

Thanks Dave - apart from a little saturation I've not done much to the colour, I dop like the Nikon chip response to sky colour (that will upset the Canon guys/gals)

Cameras just don't seem to have Time exposure - just Bulb. Don't know why - perhaps it's because everything's faster nowadays and most people don't need time exposures.

Nice image Francis :) Masses of stars :)

Archived