Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

johnb

EQMOD not responding and logging

Hi

So I use

Windows 7

EQMOM

ASCOM 6SP2

Cartes du Ciel

and for Guiding im using PHD

So I set up and align with EQMOD with no issues and then slew to target and image away, PHD does the guiding independently of EQMOD and all is well. If I then try to move to a new target I get the message that EQMOD is not responding so I have to kill Cartes du Ciel and restart.

This behaviour is consistent, I have no way of knowing when EQMOD stops responding but it does.

So is there any logging within EQMOD that may help track down the issue ?

Regards

John Berman

I had a similar issue (amongst many others!) last night. I'm certain it was a USB problem as I was using a new powered hub.

I get this every so often too and the only cure seems to be to reboot the computer. After that it's happy for the rest of the night usually. Same with my earlier netbook with XP and now with a quad processor laptop with 4GB RAM and Win 7.

Edited by Gina

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Oslet
      Sooo...I'm getting quote frustrated here. This spring I tested my HEQ5 with guiding. The synscan controller was connected to the computer trough the USB plug on the hand controller. This worked like a charm in my living room. On the new controllers you dont need the rs cable. But when I tried the whole thing with guide cameara for some live shooting, it just did not work. I get something wrong with the com port in decice manager, driver not working. I have tried 3 different drivers. The whole thing responded, connected and was guiding when i did a dummy test before the summer. So setup is pc-synscan via usb for pulse guiding. Can it be a problem with windows 10? What t h.... just happened? Where can I find a driver that works? And believe me it worked 5 months ago, argh. Thanks for any respons and support
    • By morayskies
      Hi All
      Has anybody else had this problem?
      I use a single, ageing laptop (HP620 8Gb RAM) running Windows 7 Pro 64bit to control my imaging setup using the following software;
      Cartes du Ciel and EQMOD to control EQ5 Pro mount via EQDIRECT cable connected via powered USB Hub
      BackyardEOS to capture images from Canon 450D via same USB powered hub
      PHD2 for guiding using GP-CAM 130C and EQMOD pulse guiding
      What confuses me is that some evenings everything works absolutely fine.  Another evening, using exactly the same hardware, software and even connections (ie I always plug the leads into the same ports) the system will be working fine but then suddenly fail.  The failure affects EQMOD indicating a timeout or port not available issue and the Canon 450D also 'locks' requiring a restart of the camera and BackyardEOS.
      I have run USBTree during such a failure and it is showing that the EQDIRECT cable (ie serial converter) is still connected to COM4 (which is correct) and the Canon 450D is also still connected.  I basically have to ensure that all the software is closed and any associated services also stopped.  Of course, the scope is now pointing away from its home position so I have to move it manually back to 'home' before starting again.
      My thoughts are that there could be a number of issues;
      1. Use of a USB hub
      2. A dodgy EQDIRECT cable
      3. USB cables too long (ie about 5m)
      4. Windows is turning off a connection (I have set the power management for each USB port to 'off')
      5. Canon 450D somehow 'freezing'

When using this laptop, I turn off the Wifi and Anti Virus and Automatic Updates are also off.
      It just baffles me that sometimes this system works flawlessly for hours and yet other nights it keeps failing.
      Any suggestions gratefully received.
      Thanks for looking.
    • By JBracegirdle
      Good afternoon,
      I'm still new to astronomy in general, my setup is explained in my previous post. I am trying to get plate solving working.
      I can get results from Astrometry.net, and I can get All Sky Plate Solver to solve when given an image file, but I am trying to get it to work with my ZWO ASI224MC direct.
      When I try "Click, Solve & Sync" I get an error "Camera array data unsupported."
      I have my camera connected with ASCOM as ASI Camera (1). The Image Type options are Raw8, Raw16 and Y8. Raw16 is selected and seems to be the default. I have tried the others and they all produce the same error. I've tried it with and without MonoBin. Binning is set to 1 and Subframe to 100% (50% tried). Filter is blank.
      I can connect to the camera in SharpCap via ASCOM (although it warns that it prefers native drivers). I've also tried the SharpCap native Plate solver with the astrometrics install from ASPS, it tries to solve takes a while, but can't find a solution. I also tried AstroTortilla, that reads from the camera but just returns "No solution in 0.0s".
      I've tried a Google search for the ASPS error but it doesn't find anything. I have checked only one application has the ASCOM camera at once. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    • By Demonperformer
      I am at a complete loss to understand why eqmod was not syncing on CdC last night. I have had a look at this video, I had the star centred on the screen [3m33s], I pressed sync on CdC, I got the dialog box [3m39s], I clicked 'yes' and NOTHING happened: the white circle stayed where it was, no sync points were added to EQMOD, zilch!
      I can get round most problems, but this really one stymies my GOTOs and, therefore, my imaging process.
      I have been unable to find anything in the EQMOD documentation that deals with such an error and a search on here has turned up no help (but that always depends on the words put into the search!). I checked all the obvious things (location, date/time, etc - but why any of these should stop sync working is beyond me). It's all running on Windoze 10.
      Any suggestions on why this should have stopped working and (more importantly) how I might get it working?
      Thanks.
    • By Demonperformer
      Setting up all the software on my win10 laptop and getting things to talk to one another is a nightmare.
      I'm starting a new thread, so I can post all the problems I am having, one at a time, so issues don't get confused. This will also hopefully help anyone coming to similar situations later, as the problems and answers will not be interlaced.
      First issue: APT does not detect ZWO camera.
      I have got the camera (ZWO) drivers installed and sharpcap can see it and will connect to it properly. However, when I try to connect the camera in APT, the only CCD options it gives me are SBIG (which it isn't), QSI (which it isn't) and ASCOM. Now it shouldn't need to use an ascom driver, because the proper driver is installed, but I give it a go anyway, and this just offers me 2 simulators and 3 QHY cameras (I have one qhy driver installed for the guidecam .... I'll get to that later!). I have disconnected both the filterwheel and guide camera from the camera hub, so they cannot be interefering with the process.
      I am at a total loss ... any suggestions?
      Thanks.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.