Banner2.jpg.35fd74882a15b2b8a1b4142f7dcc8bed.jpg

Mounting an Orion Mag-Mini 50 Guide Scope

I received my new Celestron C8 a few days ago and and very happy with it. I also have an Orion Mag-Mini 50 guide scope with an adapter shoe that fits the C8 OTA. I'm not thrilled with it. The shoe has a single thumb screw holding the mount foot. It appears solid but it's hard to believe the guide scope is mounted well enough for accurate guiding. I couldn't get the SSAG to recognize my mount so I haven't had the chance to test it.

I'm looking for other options to mount the guide scope and have my eye on the ADM MDS Guidescope kit. It would add some weight but I'm using a Celestron AVX mount and am nowhere near overloading it. It seems putting the weight of the guidescope directly over the mount would be better than off to the side. Also I could mount the guide scope a lot farther forward which would help a lot in getting an easier dec axis balance. Other than the price ($170) I don't see a downside.

Anybody here use a different or cheaper setup to mount their 50mm guidescope?

Celestron C8 XLT

Celestron AVX Mount

Celestron f/6.3 Reducer

Orion Mag-Mini 50 Guidescope w/SSAG

Canon 450D

Backyard EOS