Narrowband

wifi in obsy

nytecam

Hi - my wifi signal in my garden obsy for laptop and tablet is borderline with >75% dropout. I have a Netgear Virgin superhub in the house at ~ 100ft away and presume distance and intervening house brickwalls affect the signal. The obsy is in timber so hopefully "transparent" to signal?

Are there any passive ways to boost the signal via placement of my Netgear hub or maybe rear "reflectors"[?] - not much slack on the hub leads.so I can't move it much from a side window cill. Did try reversing hub to face window with small 12" square metal plate outside angled to "beam" signal down garden but no improvement.

Alternatively may need a wireless or through-the-mains wifi booster [i've mains power in obsy] - do any of these work ok ? - any views appreciated. TIA

I have a combination of powerline networking and a netgear wifi booster. Without it I would have no signal at all as my garden slopes steeply downwards away from the house, so the signal has a lot of brick and earth to travel through.

Firstly i used the powerline adapters to get the wireless router as close to the back of the house as possible, then extend its range by using the booster in the outdoor building (utility room) which overlooks the garden. Data transfer rates arent amazing.... typically about 200k a second, but thats fast enough to run tight VNC and transfer subs from the imaging netbook to the main pc (2.8mb per file).

Powerline networking will only get you so far as you need to use a wall socket, which is something you dont really get outside - unless you have an obsy wired up to the mains. If you do have it wired up, then it will do the job very well. Just ensure you get adapters that are pretty fast since you only evey get about 1/2 the rated data rate (which is still quite fast). Mine transfers over the mains network at about 2-3mb per sec.

I use Devolo adapters to run Internet access to a shed office. Thru run perfectly well for me on a temporary extension cable running 120ft, doesn't seem to be a problem not being on the mains proper. The adapter gives both wired and wireless access and the wireless performance in the shed is virtually identical to when I am connected to the router itself. They seem to be a very good, and simple solution.

Stu

Some Wifi cards/adaptors have an external antenna that you can unscrew and replace with a directional antenna. Obviously you can't do anything at the superhub end, but at the observatory end you can probably buy a replacement wifi card/adaptor and an antenna for less than a tenner each off of ebay.

Must admit that I've never actually tried this trick, just read about it.

Robin

I use Devolo adapters to run Internet access to a shed office. Thru run perfectly well for me on a temporary extension cable running 120ft, doesn't seem to be a problem not being on the mains proper. The adapter gives both wired and wireless access and the wireless performance in the shed is virtually identical to when I am connected to the router itself. They seem to be a very good, and simple solution.

Stu

+1 for the Devolo adapters. Mine are the oldish 85MB variety and I typically get 30MB between the one in the observatory and the one plugged into the router, which is plenty enough for 'normal' operations. Power to my observatory is also on what is effectively an extension cable plugged into a socket in the garage.

Archived