First Light for Celestron Adv VX Mount

garyminder

Yesterday was my first experience with an EQ mount after more than 10 years wit a NexStar 8. I am amazed at the difference.

The outer shipping box was in rough shape but everything inside was triple boxed. The tripod is as solid as could be. The NexStar tripod looks like a toy next to the VX. I have nothing to compare the VX mount to but it looks very well made. It all went together very easily. I was worried when I did a rough RA balance with just the OTA. There wasn't much room at the end of the counterweight bar and I still had an Orion mag-mini 50 w/SSAG and my Canon to add. No problem though. The dec axis balance was a pain. The OTA is almost all the way forward and I was adjusting a 1/4 inch at a time to get it dialed in.

I was in a hurry to take my first AP shots so I didn't spend the time I should have with the 2-star alignment and I only did a very rough polar alignment. The go-to function was still amazingly accurate and did far better than my NexStar ever did. Even with a rushed alignment the mount still put objects in the FOV. I do have a f/6.3 reducer so that helped.

The VX seems to hit the sweet spot for my C8. It's light enough that I can carry it without taking the mount off the tripod but plenty beefy enough to handle the C8 with accessories. Money well spent.

Celestron C8 XLT

Celestron Adv VX Mount

Celestron f/6.3 Reducer

Orion Mag Mini-50 Guide Scope w/SSAG

Canon 450D

Backyard EOS

How is the noise on this one mate? I had the CG5 and it sounded like a dinosaur in the middle of the night. :)

As far as balancing in RA is concerned, just add another counterweight. :) DEC balancing on the CG5 was also a pain because the housing would scrape the RA housing. How is it on this one?

Archived