SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Impatience or stupidity? :-)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The main globulars are much easier to spot than galaxies. M13 and M92 are relatively high up and should present as at least large smudges. I was able to view M51 and M81/M82 last night but mainly because I was cheating with accurate gotos ;) They did appear fainter than usual with the neighbours halogen light on all night!

Some of it is about surface brightness? I make the task easier, by using GoTo, a video cam etc. :p

But objects with similar total brightness, but different sizes, vary considerably / surprisingly, when it comes to seeing them (visually OR electronically). Visually, if you're that good at star hopping (kudos!), it's probably "there" (somewhere)? Averted vision is often mentioned. A little gentle telescope "tapping" seems to work for me. The eye seems to notice faint "moving" objects rather more... :)

M51 is one of those objects that is quite tricky to find, but once found is unmistakeable. I spotted it recently with 15x70 bins, but then I have had years of experience, as I first logged it on October 22, 1979. If I hadn't know exactly where to look I would have missed it this time round

Archived