SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

That perfect night....this weekend?

Stargazer_00

So all things being equal it's looking like this weekend in the UK, Friday Saturday and Sunday are aligning perfectly to a new moon.

Is anyone else feeling like Christmas is coming this weekend and your 8 years old again?

Weather permitting (surely they can't get it THAT wrong) there should be perfectly clear skies all night all weekend and no moon to spoil the view.

I'd bettter stock up on coffee because tonight is the only full night of sleep im going to get hopefully until sunday night! :D :D

Get to blow the dust off my old scopes and stretch the legs of my new one. So, what's good right now? Haven't been out for so long the only 2 objects I'm going to find right away are the Veil and the NA neb. After that it's all going to be ad hoc off of my star maps.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep it will be dark for about 2 and a half hours here in Kent, still ya takes what ya can get after the last 12 months of miserable weather. Personally I'm working all weekend so will miss what little chance there is.

..................... I'd better stock up on coffee because tonight is the only full night of sleep im going to get hopefully until Sunday night! :D :D

Good idea, always a priority in our house. :grin:

post-21902-0-35701200-1372949153_thumb.j

cant find anything on the net about seeing astro darkness. obviously I know what it is buti thought we got a smallish window even this time of year where the sun went to full astro for darkness for a couple of hours?

Does Stevenage have Astronomical Twilight at any time of the year?

I remember clearly driving to Buntingford and always seeing a YELLOW dome where Stevenage is.

If i'm awake and if it's clear - small chance of each - I will head out to a dark area south of Cambridge for an hour or two.

We have a saying here: "if the cows are laying down its going to rain. If the cows are standing up it has already rained."

You see cows are very fussy about getting their udders wet.

LOL, that made me giggle. Well said though.

More so then anyone else.

You think Dublin is bad ??. I grew up in the south west for about 10 years on the Kerry coast, that is rain redefined :), Just as well I didn't live in the Black valley where in summer you only get about one hour of sunlight exposure due to the surrounding mountains, and that is if the sun is out.

Dublin is like a drought in comparison :D. My brother lives in EnnisKerry and commented on the fact how much drier it is there compared to the southwest. Hard to believe perhaps, but ever since part of my childhood growing up there under skies producing rain day after day, I've learned to appreciate that the weather where I am now is not all that bad after all :) Kerry does have great dark skies though when the clouds are not in the way, so not sure what I rather have, very rare clear but dark skies, or something half baked in the middle more often, I'd say the former.

Archived