Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Ring Nebula - My new favourite DSO. What's yours?

NoSiriusly

Type A: people who always order their favourite dish at a restaurant, or maybe go to the same favourite holiday destination every year.

Type B: people who want to keep trying something new.

I'm type B - a couple of nights ago I was ticking off DSOs in the Lyra and Cygnus area and didn't even bother looking at the Ring, though I agree it's fantastic and would be on most people's fave list (along with M42, M13, M31....). I did happen to look in on the Blue Snowball while star-hopping - first time in about ten years according to my notes, and a lovely sight.

A lot of people would be a mix of A and B, but I'm pretty far on the B side (with restaurants and holiday destinations as well as DSOs). There are just so many interesting things to see up there.

But if I had to pick one thing that I see again and again and always love looking at: the Milky Way.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The same really, just cannot call it, as there are too many objects on my seemingly forever expanding seasonal lists in which, usually for weather related reasons or was simply overlooked, I was unable to seek out on my most recent session. Therefore IM continually forward thinking ahead to the next possible opportunity. I enjoy certain objects because they are simply spectacular and others for their subtle intimacy.

I do love setting my binoculars on the tripod at a suitably dark site to take in the immensity of the double cluster though.

• 3 weeks later...

Was just about to post about seeing the ring nebula M57 for the first time last night. I finally got the polar alignment procedure nailed on my EQ6 pro that I got a few weeks ago. First object that I asked it to go to was M57, I kept my eye to the eyepiece of a 32mm plossl as it slewed, then it stopped. It took a few seconds for me to realise that I was looking at M57, it appeared as a small smokey ring so I popped in an Explore Scientific 14mm 82 degree eyepiece and WOW, the ring was so apparent and well defined, absolutely gorgeous I just stared at it for 20 minutes straight. My new OIII filter arrived today so hopefully going to give it a go with that.

Orion's Nebula for sure.

And M103 for some reason. No idea why really as it's not anything particularily spectacular comapred to others, I just really like this one :/

I think it's beautiful with it's red ruby and white diamonds and a sprinkling of smaller gems throughout. available all year around and gets better with aperture and magnification.

http://www.astroimages.de/pics/gallery/obj/M103-20080912-crop.jpg

Archived