And then there were two

As I suggested elsewhere, the MaxVision 68o EP Bonanza is just such a good offer, that I could not resist getting a second 24mm (the others do not have the required eye relief for me). The plan is to use them in MASSIVE binoculars or binoviewers. I haven't got either yet, but if the plan falls through, I can donate one to my kids for their scope. I placed the order last Thursday, and they arrived today. So here they are, the terrible twins:

post-5655-0-27219700-1372791845_thumb.jp

I ordered a pair in error and now i am having to send one back. I only wanted the one but somehow managed to get a pair (don't ask) Used one last night for the first time and they are a wonderful eyepiece, very good value for money.

make that excellent value for money

Congrats on the terrible twins! Snap-ish!

Sarah and I had 2 x 15mm TS Planetary HR's arrive today.

gallery_2875_2604_2578.jpg

I like the ts hr,s a lot Michael very comfortable to use and great eye relief, the views are amazing, I also have the 8mm, for those good nights, enjoy michael

Nice pair Michael, I hope they don't squash your nose.

Don't you think that JOC have missed out here. Meade had a good enough name in the world of Astronomy but I agree tried to muddy it a few times in the last year. I am sure the idea to buy Meade did not come in a Christmas cracker and I believe selling these was a bit premature to say the least, it is not as if they take up a lot of space or hold massive value. There would be no reason why the could not have sold these as Meade Series 5000 eyepieces with the different colour bands on, as far as i know there was never any we are not making these any longer statement from them.

Or am I just green to the fact you bought two cheaper than I bought one a few years back.

Give us a hoedown on the view from the binoviewer.

Alan.

How wide are the tops of the Maxvisions? Are these binoviewer suitable? Has anyone tried this yet? Tempted to get a pair of 20s, but not sure if my nose would fit in between.

The MaxVisions are 53mm across at the top, 61mm or so max diameter. I wear glasses so the bridge of the nose will stay clear. I simply held them up to my eyes and could seem both field stops (and more-or-less get them to overlap) quite readily. Now I must wait to either get a Quantum 5, 6, or 7 (100mm) or a binoviewer.

Nice one Stu, The funny thing is I have a glass with whatever that is on the outside, in front of me, they were giving them away at the supermarket.

Alan

He is called Sid, and he is a ground sloth from the Ice Age films

Now you know :-)

Stu

The top of the Helios Apollo 15x70 EPs are 48 mm across and are an easy fit for me , so the 50 mm of these MaxVision 24 mm 68° EPs should be fine.

what will the actual mag and tfov be when you slap the two eps on michael?

what will the actual mag and tfov be when you slap the two eps on michael?

Depends on the bins. In Quantum 7 bins (600mm focal length) I would get 25x, and 2.72o, whereas Quantum 6 bins (545mm focal length) I would get 22.7x at 3.0 deg. I am not sure if the latter would not show vignetting at this wide field. I have heard the Q7 do support this wide field, and that the F=500mm APM 100mm ED bins will show vignetting in the Panoptic 24, but not the 19. I am no longer considering that one for that reason

Archived