Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

skywatcher az goto mount advice.

Sorry but I know this has been covered before but im thinking of upgrading my existing mount with the skywatcher az goto mount. I currently have a skywatcher 130p with autotracking. The reason why I want to upgrade is that I want a synscan handset to replace my existing handset that the scope/mount come with. Im told that I cant just buy the handset as my existing mount is not compatable . So buying a handset only is a costly mistake to do so for the sake of a few quid more buying a complete mount/tripod and handset for £200 ish seems a better idea, then I have a spare mount tripod for travelling. Any advice would be helpful. cheers phil.

Hi Phil

Iv looked into this quite abit as I have the same mount and it does seem that it can't be upgraded........easily. There is a way to upgrade the mount but it involves taking almost everything apart and knowing about circuit diagrams, electronics and ALOT of complicated stuff that, if you do it wrong, could cause alot more damage than harm.

I wish there was a simple upgrade pack that you could buy, but it does seem that if you want to have a synscan handset, your best option is to buy a new mount.

Of course this is the point where someone comes along and posts a link to a thread showing you two bolts to unscrew which will then make it a full goto knowing my luck :D

Hi.

Unfortunately you can't just upgrade the handset. You also can't upgrade the mount :(

It looked like SkyWatcher were going to offer an upgrade at one time, but I'm told they were fearful of the potential for a large number of returns, so dropped the idea. The tube mounting is different and removing bolts more than an arms length down the long tube with a big chunk glass at the bottom is just asking for trouble!

Hi.

Unfortunately you can't just upgrade the handset. You also can't upgrade the mount :(

It looked like SkyWatcher were going to offer an upgrade at one time, but I'm told they were fearful of the potential for a large number of returns, so dropped the idea. The tube mounting is different and removing bolts more than an arms length down the long tube with a big chunk glass at the bottom is just asking for trouble!

Yes you can, I have. you can also connect the Supatrak to a computer via a blurtooth adapter http://www.365astronomy.com/bluetooth-interface-for-skywatcher-autotracking-merlin-p-2390.html

Archived