Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Monday's evening sun in Ha (1/7/13) - super prom night

DrRobin

Hi,

What a super prom, it first showed up on Saturday and it istill there, this must be one active region.

All pictures Lunt 60 in signle and double stack. DMK41 with a 0.8x FR for the full disc and a 1.5x barlow for the close ups.

I also took enough images for a mosaic, but it is refusing to assemble at the moment.

Robin

Single stack

post-10602-0-99667600-1372717100_thumb.jpost-10602-0-58712000-1372717113_thumb.j post-10602-0-97395400-1372717126_thumb.j

Double stack

post-10602-0-50979500-1372717062_thumb.j post-10602-0-83863500-1372717075_thumb.j

Double stack close up

post-10602-0-83815100-1372717080_thumb.j

Nice set, Robin. The prom closeup is fantastic! :cool:

How much drizzle did you use? I've not had any luck with drizzle so far, it seems to break up into jagged pixels when I adjust the tones a lot?

Hope your mosaic works out.

We must have been imaging at pretty much the same time, these are fabulous :) I see that in the prom close up you have a massive surge prom which I only had a bright bulge on my shot so perhaps this was taken a few minutes after me? (after 18:53?).

Alexandra

Hi,

Thanks everyone, last night ended a 7 day stretch of no sun for me.

Alexandra, I set up at 19:10, but my new PC is playing up again and I had to reload the IS drivers and software, so it was 19:22 when I took the single stack full disc images, 19:42 for the double stack full disc (I took three on different settings) and then between 19:52 and 20:06 for the 1.5x images for my mosaic (still processing). The close up of the prom was taken at 20:00.

Robin

Hi,

I have stitched together the 6 pane mosaic, mostly by hand, so it's a bit rough at the edges, but it looks like there is more surface detail.

The sun was getting a bit low by the time I finished this (8pm) and I had to wait about 5 minutes in the middle for cloud to clear. I was going to make a second run, but it was already touching the roof of a house across the gardens so it wasn't worth the effort.

Robin

Mosaic-1-7-13.jpg

Mosaic-1-7-13c.jpg

Same here Robin. I really wanted to have a crack at the new AR before it comes right into view.

Not a bad job on the mosaic but it has lost sharpness on the overlaps. I was playing with my mosaic data last night to see if I could improve anything and I noticed that photomerge does exactly the same thing, so its not just you. Considering you manually merged the frames, you did a pretty good job of it.

To my surprise (and delight) Autostitch has made a better job of stitching the mosaic. I had a fiddle with the settings, not really knowing what they do, but it took around 3 times as along to produce the image shown below.

Robin

Sun-1-7-13-autostitch-2a.jpg

Hi Allan,

Yes, only jpeg is supported. It is a demo of the software. Commercial packages built on their stitching engine are Autopano (Windows) and Calico (MAC). Interesting as I download a demo copy of Autopano and it won't stitch the mosaic either.

If I try a mosaic I process the files in to TIFF with AS!2 and also sharpen them to JPEG. I use MS ICE on the unsharpened TIFFs or JPEGs to see if that will stitch, if it doesn't I try Autostitch on the sharpened JPEGs.

I reckon my Lunt 60 with double stack might be struggling to correctly illuminate a DMK41 with 1.5x barlow and I might try my DMK21 next time. It will take at least 4 times the number of panes, but can run up to 4 times as quick.

Robin

I have tried Hugin on solar and despite identifying loads of good alignment points it just will not stitch a final image without huge amounts of distortion. It complains that the FoV is too small to calculate/optimise the settings. Pity as Hugin is really just a front end for the stitching tools, but it does look as though it can't cope with the very small FoV of solar images.

Robin

I wish I could get Hugin to work, it looks like it has great potential, but unless I can find a solution for the small FoV upsetting the optimisation I don't think it is going to be any good.

Perhaps I should start another thread?

Robin

Archived