Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Binocular repair in Bedfordshire?

Hello all,

My inlaws have given me a pair of Russian BNU4 8x30 binoculars (see attached pic - in case I got the nomenclature wrong). The glass itself looks like it's in pretty good shape with no scratches, fogging, or other blemishes. Mechanically, the main focus wheel is loose, and only adjusts the focus if you apply pressure on it toward the eyepieces while turning it, and the adjustment on the right eyepiece doesn't function at all; it just spins around and around with no effect.

Does anyone know of a repair shop in Bedfordshire? I'm in Biggleswade, and while I don't mind sending them off to somewhere reputable, I'd like to save the postage if it's at all possible.

Thanks for any ideas.

post-25177-0-98022900-1372711366_thumb.j

Really just a list of contacts: ActionOptics

But a useful list, there is one for "Russian Binos" at Hunstanton, no idea who or anything else.

Could email the person or ring as it says at the top.

Actually just read that ActionOptics perform repairs but they are at Southampton.

Other then that Campkins at Cambridge is the only one I could suggest, or Green Witch.

"problem" is they will send to someone and you really want to know who that someone is.

Canniot see a specific at Bedford, ones elsewhere are:

Intrasights

01460 - 929291

2 The Waggon Shed, Flaxdrayton Farm, Drayton, South Petherton, Somerset, TA13 5LR

opticalrepairs

16, Wheatfield Road, Selsey

West Sussex, PO20 0NY, UK.

Telephone/Fax: 01243 601 365

info@opticalrepairs.com

Used to me one in Stevenage but I last used them years ago and cannot locate anything now.

Could try this place in Luton: Luton Camera Repair Services Ltd. 49, Guildford Street,

Luton,

Bedfordshire,

LU1 2NJ

United Kingdom

Tel: (01582) 458 323

Fax: (01582) 480 165 email: service@lutoncameras.co.uk

I have heard of them for camera repairs and they state binocular repairs somewhere or other.

Sounds to me as though a couple of things need tightening up. The right eye cell is usually held in place by 3 very small grubscrews, if these are loose then the unit will spin without focusing. There may be another grubscrew on the main focusing wheel that needs tightening. :smiley:

Thanks for that info. The screws are there, and I'd be willing to take a shot at tightening them, but a) they look a little rusty, and B) I don't have a small enough screwdriver to adjust them. Ah, well. :)

Archived