Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Focal length question?

Indeed so. The only problem is finding the planet again after you've put the barlow in :D

James

..a most frustrating experience indeed. Only way I found is to defocus massively and look for the larger airy disk of the defocused planet and "focus into" the disk whist trying to centre the said defocused disk. I got rapidly annoyed with planetary AP for this reason.

An illuminated reticle eyepiece is really helpful for this, so you can get the image dead centre before swapping. It's one of the reasons I like stacking a barlow and extension though, as I can recentre each time I add a new component.

James

It is a game trying to locate a planet at high fl. I ended up using an EP to center, then non barlowed camera before fitting the barlow. Then make sure you don't lose it :huh: I noticed just standing on the lawn by the mount moved the target on the screen :shocked::smiley:

I gave up on planetary imaging because I couldn't find the planet too - and that was with a much shorter focal length :D Otherwise the planet was too small to see much detail.

An illuminated reticle eyepiece is really helpful for this, so you can get the image dead centre before swapping. It's one of the reasons I like stacking a barlow and extension though, as I can recentre each time I add a new component.

James

I just picked up one of those a few weeks back and it made my life so much easier for planetary work.

Archived