SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Sunspot in White Light on 6/30/2013

atmenterprises

Nice one for a single snap ... :laugh:

I'd aim for a lot faster shutter speed if possible ( don't know what your settings were for this ) and a darker image to start with.

You can tweak the brightness up afterwards but if the original frame is overexposed/saturated there's not much can be done to bring the levels down neatly.

It's certainly a challenge with a Dob ... :p

I use my ED80 for my Solar imaging ( or an ST120 if the ED's tied up on the 'dark stuff' ) makes life a lot easier when you're tracking , you can grab 50 or so for stacking ....

There's a great tutorial on Solar Imaging here ..... http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/153712-simple-white-light-solar-imaging/#entry1967606

Rough align is all I do , I move the mount to three different positions depending on the time of day and basically just level the mount using the legs not the Alt/Az bolts and point North.

The EQ-G appears much the same as my HEQ5Pro with the Synscan handset so I'm guessing the routine is the same.

I just turn the mount on , press ENTER to all the set-up prompts until it asks about Alignment. Press NO then ENTER for SET-UP mode , scroll to Tracking , select Solar then just unlock the clutches and swing round to the Sun.

Even a rough align will keep you on target well enough to grab plenty of frames for stacking , you may need to tweak it with the handset occasionally to keep centred .

I'd go with the Baader film , cheaper if you buy a sheet and make your own holder than a ready made cell , I use "embroidery rings" to clamp the film and three bolts to secure , this one's been in use for a year now , pretty much daily .....

IMG_3209.jpg

IMG_3210.jpg

IMG_3211.jpg

If you plan to do observing you need the ND 5.0 film , but if it's for imaging only the ND 3.8 allows more light through and therefore higher shutter speeds can be used , especially when using extra filters eg Continuum or OIII for enhancement.

Archived