Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Day Moon - Help!

Hi,

I took 62 raw images of the moon around 8:45 this morning. iso was set to 400 with shutter speed at 1/1250. PIPP will only process them if I switch off enable object detection but doing this results in the image not centering. I think I probably should have shot this with a longer shutter speed. I've attached a single raw image converted to jpg so you can see what the image appears like.

Can anyone recommend settings for capturing the moon in daylight?

post-26155-0-03282000-1372587474_thumb.j

Cheers

Al

I generally prefer a lower ISO , 200 max to reduce noise and graininess . Shutter speed accordingly.

Aim for a dimmer image to start as the features will be irretrievable if burnt out on the subs , you can tweak them brighter later.

I just use the same routine as I do with the Sun , convert to TIFFs , pre-select only the best frames by eye after opening in Reg 5 , delete the rubbish , re-open in Reg 5 , align on a small clear feature with a 512 box , stack , bingo.

Hi Al,

The next version of PIPP should handle these images with no problem. I have PMed you a link to the latest development version that is nearly ready for release. Please let me know how you get on and if this version works for you I shall push on with the release.

Cheers,

Chris

Thanks very much for that Chris. PIPP is now processing the images but for some reason it's only outputting 5 of the 62. Below are the quality settings. Is this due to the quality estimation being ticked?

Cheers

Al

Also, if the automatic detect threshold is not working, there is some new support for selecting a detection threshold value manually.

* Add the image files to PIPP and select the options as usual.

* Press the 'Processing Options->Object Detect Threshold->Test Detect Threshold' button.

The image viewer window will show a monochrome version of the image with the pixels that have been detected as part of the object in red. If the red pixels are spilling out onto the background, the the object detection threshold is too low. If not enough of the object has been detected, then the object detection threshold is too high.

To change the object detection value:

* Uncheck the 'Processing Options->Object Detection->Auto Object Detection Threshold' control.

* Increase or decrease the 'Processing Options->Object Detection->Object Detection Threshold' value as required.

* Press the 'Processing Options->Object Detect Threshold->Test Detect Threshold' button again.

* Repeat until the moon is detected correctly.

You are aiming to get a value that gives something like this:

post-9259-0-34873200-1372592189_thumb.jp

But not like this:

post-9259-0-06463100-1372592207_thumb.jp

Or this:

post-9259-0-63017200-1372592193_thumb.jp

Cheers,

Chris

Just a thought Chris , any plans to add a stacking program to PIPP ... ?

Seems to me that you've covered all the pre-processing stuff to make Reg and AS!2 behave , so wondered when you will bring out something to 'do the lot' .... :grin:

Actually Steve, that thought had occurred to me... However, I think the effort required to produce something that even gets close to the results from RegiStax or AS!2 would be monumental so I plan to stay away from that area, for now at least!

The next function I plan to add is support for dark and flat calibration frames, I think these daytime moon images could really benefit from that.

Cheers,

Chris

How about something that can detect Sunspots for centering in the same way you detect planetary discs for close-up Solar surface AVIs ... ?

I have absolutely no idea how these things are done by the way , so please feel free to tell me to shut up ... :p

Chris,

Following your advice above I managed to get PIPP to output 23 TIFFs. I won't put up the final image as I didn't get a good capture in the first place but at least I have some good tips to follow for my next day moon thanks to Yourself and Steve.

Thanks Guys

Al

Getting 23 TIFFs out is still a bit disappointing. Another approach is to do 2 passes with PIPP.

Firstly, run your RAW files through PIPP with just the following options changed:

Processing Options->Histogram Equalisation->Stretch Histogram White Point to 75% = Enabled

Processing Options->Histogram Equalisation->Stretch Histogram Black Point to 0% = Enabled

Output Options->Output Format = TIFF

Then start PIPP again and this time use the TIFF files that were just generated. Now run PIPP with the usual lunar processing options.

I am trying to get PIPP running so that this is not required, but it might help you.

Cheers,

Chris

Archived