Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Cumbria Star Party 9

Hi all,

Unfortunately I can't make the main event Fri/Sat this time due to other commitments (the first one I've missed since CSP2!!) so I just wanted to wish everyone clear skies and I hope you all have a great time....

Although I do have a some free time Wed/Thurs as I'm on holiday so hopefully I won't miss CSP9 completely so for those that are arriving early I'll see you there. :smiley:

Cheers

Steve

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gutted - been called in to work so unfortunately Im on nights this weekend now ! Was looking forward to the whisky tasting - the Quinta Rubin Glenmorangie will have to wait for the next one - unless I crack it in a moment of weakness !

Hi Nina,

I spoke to Mike this morning as he is packing his car.

He said it was raining cats and dog in Newcastle.

If he has a canoe he may find it easier to pack the roof rack given the amount of water around.

He is planning to arrive on Wednesday.

I cannot make this SP but hope to see you and the others at Galloway in November.

Have a great time, remember that your share of the whiskey is always at the bottom of the bottle, so it becomes necessary to drink the other

shares to get to yours.

Cheers

Adrian

Hi Nina,

Can you please PM me the exact location, after missing the last few SPs due to havng to work, I feel like a kid now, getting excited at being able to have a go at something I've wanted to do for ages.

I'm looking forward to meeting everybody and hopfully can pinch some tips along the way

thanks

T

Hmm .... now let's see. Tent, groundsheet, matress, sleeping bag, pillow. LX90, eyepieces, camera and tripod, binoculars, changes of clothes, hill boots etc (Lake District on Saturday perhaps?). Beer, single malt, soup simmering on stove, bread, butter. Lots more to consider - but it's a start.

Will put roof box on car tomorrow and pack Friday AM. Haven't decided whether to put the bike rack on (cycle on Saturday) or go hillwalking instead. Decisions, decisions.

Just remembered - might need biccies!

Tom

Well the advance party had a great first night, clear skies until 3am. Some scope issues asusual and a fair amount of dew so if you have any dew control it'd be worth bring it!

Saying that some brilliant views plenty of early Perseids meteors, ISS and the Milkyway looking lovely naked eye including the Cygnus rift. :)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Hi Steve,

Great to hear that the weather was good and the Milkway was visible and everything is set fair for the

coming days.

Trust you and Mike went easy on the whiskey.

Maybe you need a bottle of Ouzo to give an early warning of dew.

Cheers

Adrian

The kids and myself had a great time at the pre Cumbria Star Party.... I hope you all get lovely clear skies for the main event! :)

Oh and one man's loss is another man's gain.... I forgot my whisky so Phil, Kenny, Tom and any other whisky drinkers have a dram or two on me feel free to finish the bottle and enjoy. :)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Hi everyone,

Thankyou so much for making a very enjoyable Csp 9. I had a great time despite our little dramas. We don't have problems at our Csp's, we have situations with solutions. One being Lesley with our confused swan on his second walking visit, our Lesley managed to catch and return him to his Lake with the help of Tony, whose weekend seemed to turn into a busmans holiday due to all his rescue missions. Well done, applaud all round.

Once again we all chipped in, we eat so well at our get togethers, Another big Thankyou to all who contributed. With special Thanks to Sandra and our newbie Zoe for their selection of delicious home baking. Mike and I are going to finish the last two cake tins off, which are brimming with beauty whilst sitting back watching the Persieds, Yes I am sorry we do have a pretty clear sky tonight. We have already seen a spectacular one cruising past us. We have also had a great view of the ISS.

I hope the journey home for you all was a safe one and again, Thankyou for your efforts. If you did not come we could not have Csp's, It would be me in the field with my telescope, 6 sheep, and probably Mike.

I had better go now, but hopefully see you all soon at Csp 10, which could be around the end of September.

Lots of Love

Mike and Nina

Hi Nina,

Glad you survived another wonderful SP.

On the question of sheep v Mike, there is no competition, the sheep win everytime.

Glad you had clear skies, as the sky here seems to start to cloud over at 21:00.

Have a good holiday.

Remember it takes hours to get Mike packed up.....

Cheers

Adrian

PS.... Did you manage to finish off Steve's bottle of whiskey?

Missed CSP 9, but if the next is in August too I should be able to make it. As I'm a school science tech I get school holidays but not other times (SGL meets are out unfortunately).

I may be able to dovetail it with a week at LPH down in Braithwaite.

• 1 month later...

Archived