Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

takahashi fsq 85 - best mounting system?

Steve where did you get the Parallax rings from please?  Did these come with the screws to attach to the ADM dovetail?

I bought the rings from Ian King but they didn't come with mounting bolts. However, I bought the ADM bar from FLO and their bars come with a set of bolts to suit the bar (either Imperial of Metric) and I had chosen an Imperial bar which meant that I got the necessary 1/4" - 20 Allen bolts. Unfortunately, the 95mm tube rings have 1.5" centres between the two outer threaded holes which didn't match the 2" centres of the Imperial bar so I only used the centre hole in each ring. The Parallax tube rings ain't pretty but they are very substantial and that counts for more than aesthetics!

Plenty of room on the shaft to loosen the grub screw holding the focuser knob and ease it away from the dovetail bar a little...

Thanks for the suggestion, all useful info!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great stuff Steve.  Many thanks, good tip about the Imperial Dovetail  - I was wondering about that very issue and that's the solution!!! :)  I understand that Parallax rings also have top mounting holes for a guide-scope to mount on top?

Native:-              CA-35 (TSA-102) TCA 1030   20.0mm deep

0.73x Reducer:-  CA-35 (SKY-90) TCA 1020    16.0mm deep

So Steve, are you saying that the only difference in the various CA-35s (or at least these two) is the depth?

It really is ridiculous that Takahashi don't publish this information!  All we need to know is the thread type and gender and the contribution to metal back!

Really sorry for the late reply folks  - I missed these additions to the thread!

On what part of the TAK OTA will the rings "squeeze" the tube to grip it?

I checked up on this and on the FSQ85 there is a black 'ring' that splits the tube assembly in half - this is the mounting for a bracket that holds the rear pair of the Petzval elements suspended freely so pressure on the OTA is not transmitted to the lens elements.

So Steve, are you saying that the only difference in the various CA-35s (or at least these two) is the depth?

It really is ridiculous that Takahashi don't publish this information!  All we need to know is the thread type and gender and the contribution to metal back!

Indeed, the only difference in the various CA-35's is their depth. The threads are 72.0mm male to 54.0mm female.

Olly, I have struggled to find where one would buy the offset foot to attach to the bottom of the clamshell.  I use my mount for other telescopes and not keen on removing the saddle completely. Where did you get your foot from?  I could call Ian King - top bloke - but asking here out of curiosity.  I quite like that blue Losmandy plate as well :)  Sorry if I am being a numpty and off colour as a google search ninja....

Also, how did you mount the mount scope to the top of the clamsell?  I thought the clamshell only had one hole on the top which made me think the clamp would tend to swivel?

Many thanks, Steve

Hi Steve,

The sexy blue Losmandy plate is Altair Astro.

The offset foot is standard Tak and Ian will sort you out, I'm sure. Mine came from Albert in happier days.

The guide scope (here replaced by our Lunt solarscope) is held on using a Baader mini saddle plate which is just bolted down to the clamshell with one bolt. It could swivel but doesn't if it's tight. It was what I used throughour the four years with the 85 and it never gave a hint of a problem.

Great information from Steve R on this thread. Bravo!

Olly

This is fantastic stuff.  Thanks guys.  Will ring Ian in the week.  Will order the Blue AA as well - I think thats the 180mm one in Olly's picture.  Having your kit "look nice" makes a big deal to me, I am like that will all things I do, from telescopes to piano to bikes to my greenhouse.  Makes you take pride and pleasure using it.

ShineOn -Simon - has also helped me no end as well.

This is fantastic stuff.  Thanks guys.  Will ring Ian in the week.  Will order the Blue AA as well - I think thats the 180mm one in Olly's picture.  Having your kit "look nice" makes a big deal to me, I am like that will all things I do, from telescopes to piano to bikes to my greenhouse.  Makes you take pride and pleasure using it.

ShineOn -Simon - has also helped me no end as well.

My stuff is about as stylishly turned out as I am. Uh-Oh!!!

Olly

Having your kit "look nice" makes a big deal to me, I am like that will all things I do,

Sadly, that sounds like me - I very nearly sent my Parallax tube rings back because the quality of the finish didn't match that of the Tak! In the end, I kept them because they make for a more secure and flex-free solution than the offset Tak foot. I'm still tempted to rework those tube rings to make them a better cosmetic match.

As for my own appearance - 'stylishly turned out' and 'me' would never appear in the same sentence apart from this one!

Sadly, that sounds like me - I very nearly sent my Parallax tube rings back because the quality of the finish didn't match that of the Tak! In the end, I kept them because they make for a more secure and flex-free solution than the offset Tak foot. I'm still tempted to rework those tube rings to make them a better cosmetic match.

As for my own appearance - 'stylishly turned out' and 'me' would never appear in the same sentence apart from this one!

I wish we could still get the SoCal rings that Alistair and Simon both have. They look superb but Leon no longer makes them. I am not sure whether to go for the clamshell or rings myself....

Also not sure whether to get the reducer at day 1 either!!

I used to be undecided but nowadays I am not so sure ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

If you want to repaint them, then Krylon honeydew ambrosia is the colour you need to best match the Tak green .... so Joe Nastasi at Parallax told me last year!

Yes, got to be F3.9 ;)  That said, the vanilla OTA scope is pricey enough at £2750.  Then you need to mount the thing with rings or clamshell and need other adapters.  So the 85 and FR with the bits to get going is not far short of £3500. The 106ED would be £4500 + focusing automation.  Its serious money to enter Tak-land !!

• 2 weeks later...

Guess who is £3500 lighter this evening ;)  Nice things these bonuses don't you think?  Especially when I tell my wife there was no bonus this month dear.... He-he-he ;)

FSQ-85 OTA, reducer, all the Tak screw in bits, extenders and adapters, Parallax rings, dovetails and saddle upgrade to hold the whole caboodle. 

Yes it does Simon.  Until Madame Kirkster501 finds out I spent £6300 since July on a Tak85 + bits + Atik460/filters!!!  Ssshhh, she'll never find out.

Hush dont let Becky  see either as I have just picked up a qsi, planning on a Baby Q again ;) and then need to research my mount options, but only when im 100% sure of the size i have to play with, (ill stick with the heq5 till them)

Of course there is focus / rotation automation and plate solving further down the line FLI for the focuser for sure, i need to research rotation a bit more. Im not planning on the flattener... did i ever say i hate spacing ;)?

The 85 with guidescope and CCD/FW is quite a weighty affair - surprsingly so. As I said before the 85 is a proper chunky little chap when mounted with quality dovetails and mouting rings.   I am sure it will be OK on a HEQ5 but I am now glad I have a NEQ6.  Indeed, I have read before that the HEQ5 is fine and consequently I thought I could possibly have wasted money upgrading to the NEQ6.  But, TBH, I am now glad I did.

Archived