Ceph and Cass

AstroTortilla "Actions"

continuum

Just starting with AT and am quite successful with solving my existing images. Also have tested through scope at night with Nebulosity capturing. This also being solved satisfactorily. But in both cases the Actions options are always greyed out and therefore I cannot sync etc.

I just cant find why or how to turn on the Actions. Can anyone help please.

Ron

Hi Ron, I've also had this on occasions. What I do now is to connect AT up to the mount and to Maxim first. Then I use the handset (you may use EQMOD) to slew to my chosen target. I cannot remember exactly if the "actions" are greyed out at this stage or not, but if not then I would check them all and then ask AT to plate solve. If they were greyed out I would still go ahead and ask AT to plate solve, now once done, I'm pretty certain that the actions box is no longer greyed out and once ticked AT will proceed to solve and re-slew your scope accurately to the target.

HTH's,

Martin

Steve, I think you are correct - when I have AT connected to my mount via ASCOM, I then see a the word "tracking" pops up in bright green font - this is in the Telescope box on AT, immediately under the RA/DEC co-ordinates. Probably once this green "tracking" word is there, then the action boxes are not greyed out anymore.

Martin

Gina, I thought you bough AA5? Can that plate solve?

I love Astro Tortilla. It's incredible how useful it is.

I did but couldn't seem to get my head round it and "put it on a back burner". I'll have another go at it sometime. AT works well most of the time but whether AA5 works better I don't know. The manual is very theoretical and doesn't seem to cater much for beginners. I'll have to look around again for an "AA5 for Dummies" guide. I feel like a Dummy at times :D I think my brain may be showing signs of age like my body!

I did but couldn't seem to get my head round it and "put it on a back burner". I'll have another go at it sometime. AT works well most of the time but whether AA5 works better I don't know. The manual is very theoretical and doesn't seem to cater much for beginners. I'll have to look around again for an "AA5 for Dummies" guide. I feel like a Dummy at times :D I think my brain may be showing signs of age like my body!

Well, I downloaded the trial of AA and I must say it does look rather involved! I will have a play with it at some point. Thing is, clear nights are just so rare of late - almost none existent in fact - that "playing" is not what one wants to be doing....

Well, I downloaded the trial of AA and I must say it does look rather involved! I will have a play with it at some point. Thing is, clear nights are just so rare of late - almost none existent in fact - that "playing" is not what one wants to be doing....

Very true!

Hi Ron

Just to confirm - I've had a play with AT using the EQMOD simulator and the actions become greyed out when the mount isn't tracking.

This makes sense when you think about it, because you can't sync a non-tracking mount - a stationary mount would be "off", with the sky moving away from the target goto solution.

I guess another approach would have been for AT to turn mount tracking on (if it's off) when you click the solve button - but I think their implementation is sound.

Hope this helps

Steve

Hi Ron

I too experience this everytime I use AT, whether tracking or not, the 'Actions' text labels are greyed out, although the tick boxes are visible and seem to relay the instruction to AT fine. I also get the green 'tracking' text like Martin said. I have AT working most times - and it is like magic when it does - however I've also been frustrated with it freezing and not responding part-way through a solve on a few occasions. The PC says 'slewing to target' via EQMOD, AT states 're-centering' in the lower left, yet the mount doesn't actually move to the target. This happened last night to me and I think it is my fault in not sticking to the right workflow or sequence, eg last night I forgot to abort Nebulosity's 'Frame & Focus' feature before asking AT to capture and solve: doh! When the freeze/hang happens I can never seem to get AT to plate solve until I've disconnected from the mount and EQMOD.

I'm going to experiment next time I'm out, eg minimising windows before opening and/or positioning the AT dialogue box, ticking only the first two actions, closing & disconnecting AT after a plate solve (rather than leave AT running) etc.

Hi Martin - sorry I've not managed to make a NLO meeting yet. It is on the 'to do' list.

Barry

Thanks Steve and Barry. I will get a clear sky at sometime and will try your suggestions.

p.s Barry I'm a member at the NLO and I look forward to seeing you there one Friday.

Steve, we are looking forward to seeing you there for a talk on AT. Doubtless Martin will liaise over the date.

Ron

Following Steve's advice and with no chance of clear skies I have just tried setting AT to "Ascom Telelescope" as EQ Simulator and "Camera " to Nebulosity using Nebulosity's simulated image and lo and behold it works! I have green "tracking" and the Actions are all available. Unfortunately it's not possible to solve the Nebulosity Image but otherwise everything is working.

My thanks to all and especially Steve who led me there.

Ron

• Like 1

Good news Ron. I'm pleased it worked. If you let me have your scope and camera model details, I'll try to help you out with the settings. I'll PM my email address to you, so you can send an image..or can you upload a full res version somewhere that I can download it from?