Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

At last! Dob 250... But some help & advice required

I also went for the 250px and got it just in time to have a look at Jupiter and Saturn before the Finnish summer set in and put paid to any observing until the autumn.

One challenge I have where I live is a lot of obstructions making it difficult to view objects that are relatively low in the sky. To deal with this, and the fact that when I can see an object by eye, it may still be too low for the scope (not to mention the backache from bending over to view) I have been thinking of finding or building something to stand the scope on. I figured raising it about 40cm would help a lot and I would be interested in knowing what others think of the idea.

I have also considered the mobility challenge and wondered about a trolley for moving it around. I will definitely have to consider the ironing stool as an option as well.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also went for the 250px and got it just in time to have a look at Jupiter and Saturn before the Finnish summer set in and put paid to any observing until the autumn.

One challenge I have where I live is a lot of obstructions making it difficult to view objects that are relatively low in the sky. To deal with this, and the fact that when I can see an object by eye, it may still be too low for the scope (not to mention the backache from bending over to view) I have been thinking of finding or building something to stand the scope on. I figured raising it about 40cm would help a lot and I would be interested in knowing what others think of the idea.

I have also considered the mobility challenge and wondered about a trolley for moving it around. I will definitely have to consider the ironing stool as an option as well.

It seems this thread is turning out to be a huge help to a lot of other folk here so that's really good! :smiley:

Not sure if most will agree, but until recently I had the same telescope which was also my first telescope. I brought a 2x barlow and a celestron 8-24mm zoom eyepiece.

this allowed me to change the focal length of the eyepiece quickly while getting used to the telescope and finind objects. And while I havent used top of the range eyepiece, I would say it gave good views, much better than the supplied eyepieces

Thanks Steve_meg.

It is interesting to get everyone's opinions from all angles both good and bad. All this helps me steer my course along what I will and won't decide to do, so thank you for your input

Mark, I suppose we beginners are all in the same boat. Once we've chosen the 'scope, we have some tricky decisions about eyepieces. I know that to get the best out of this one, I will need to get some decent eyepieces but on a limited budget I'm keen to make sensible choices. Currently I am thinking I will focus on getting a couple of good ones to benefit me with this 'scope and to keep using should I ever move to another one. The more information and opinions I can gather, the better, so I have been reading through these threads avidly in search of pointers. I did go for a Barlow even though I know some people are not keen on them. Again, my thinking was that I can get the benefit from it with the stock eyepieces as well as with whatever eyepieces I get next. Anyhow, thanks for letting me chime in on your thread. :smiley:

Once we've chosen the 'scope, we have some tricky decisions about eyepieces....

...Anyhow, thanks for letting me chime in on your thread. :smiley:

Took me a year to choose our scope! And when I thought I was there I ran into some self doubt - but found out I was actually right in my choice with the help of others here.

I'm all for everyone else 'chiming in' on my thread! I think it's absolutely terrific that others are getting something out of it - Fill yer boots! :cool:

Blinking flip thats cheap !!! was about to shell out on the rigid 250px - now I need another think! :shocked:

That really is scarily cheap...

if something looks too good to be true, it usually is :D

Yeah all sounds a bit dodgy to me, be careful

You lot are such a bunch of doubting Thomases :grin:

To be honest I too had to remain very open minded about it after my neighbour went ahead with the purchase on Sunday evening!

Nothing had been heard since - the suspense was killing us, and then yesterday it finally showed up!

...Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

A BIG "Thank you" is in order to Dennistutt for drawing this to our attention. Well done!

c212e9fb-ee09-401c-8415-4b23a72ddce7_zps5e832b45.jpg?t=13730161369e15fa9f-4ed4-4cd2-98fe-e65934d66681_zps5d2a66cf.jpg?t=1372978211

You lot are such a bunch of doubting Thomases :grin:

To be honest I too had to remain very open minded about it after my neighbour went ahead with the purchase on Sunday evening!

Nothing had been heard since - the suspense was killing us, and then yesterday it finally showed up!

...Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

A BIG "Thank you" is in order to Dennistutt for drawing this to our attention. Well done!

c212e9fb-ee09-401c-8415-4b23a72ddce7_zps5e832b45.jpg?t=13730161369e15fa9f-4ed4-4cd2-98fe-e65934d66681_zps5d2a66cf.jpg?t=1372978211

Massive result... And Kudos to the supplier for honouring the price :D

I am glad it all turned out very well - was a bit concerned.

As they are my local store I will use them in future. It seems they are going in to astronomy in a big way.

Thanks Dennis. Yep they honoured their offer - and what an offer it was!

My neighbour tells me she wasn't unduly concerned as they have big adverts in some of the RSPB magazines apparently.

Quite a prize. I would love to know how many folk took them up on that 10" Flextube! :smiley:

Great to see it all turned out OK.

And a bonus, it looks like a run of clear nights to try it out.

Enjoy.

Just when I am back to work :mad:

(I work away from home from 11am to 11pm with a 1.5 hour drive at either end)

Actually it was clear all day yesterday and today - but yet again it has clagged in a bit in the sly from the late evening :embarrassed:

Archived