SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Stellarium, make it a little more how it is.

What I mean is it would be just that little bit better if it had a real view as well as the imaged views it shows so we had a more realistic idea of what to expect and indeed, look for.

Also does anybody know if there any way of adding into the programme the use of filters for use on nebula etc to give you that extra touch of realism.

Steve

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do now what you mean, ive used it to look for things before, like M1 for example, and it shows it in its full photo form, but obvioulsly thats not what we see. But it wouldnt make it as fun and exciting to program to use, which is probably what they were aiming for.

It would be nice addition if someone took Astro drawings and created an alternative image pack... probably licence issues though especially since the would be from different sources.

Batch converting all images to monochrome, ad blur and lower the brightness according to their mag and the telescope would be nice, but probably easier to do within Stellarium, plus different for the individual telescope :-)

The (German) website Sternenfreunde Müster has an eyepiece calculator that tries to simulate decreasing brightness depending on aperture and fl/ep...

I quite like the full on pictures I have to admit, while I know its not what we can see through the EP, it gives you an idea of what your looking at actualy looks like if that makes sense.

The option to toggle between the two though would be a very welcome addition.

Yes, what a complete let down it is for a free program.. :p

My sentiment exactly...A free program that allows you to operate your mount with another free program so you can take images and edit them with more free programs...this astronomy is a rip off. why can't they get it right :D

It is far from a trivial task to represent on a computer screen and what actually goes on with the eye, how bright/clear/resolved something appears. Sure I agree it could perhaps be improved. I am just looking at this very problem in the last few days, I am trying to code a ocular viewer based on images, which in a way in itself is already a flawed notion for a visual representation, but plan to then do some post processing effects on them to make it sort of look what it roughly may look like. Not at all easy to translate that into pixels.

It would be nice addition if someone took Astro drawings and created an alternative image pack... probably licence issues though especially since the would be from different sources.

Batch converting all images to monochrome, ad blur and lower the brightness according to their mag and the telescope would be nice, but probably easier to do within Stellarium, plus different for the individual telescope :-)

The (German) website Sternenfreunde Müster has an eyepiece calculator that tries to simulate decreasing brightness depending on aperture and fl/ep...

Interesting you should mention that, this is more or less my approach, and indeed getting the images from sources that will agree to use them is another issue, though I imagine ( or is it hope :) ) that should be possible.

I do now what you mean, ive used it to look for things before, like M1 for example, and it shows it in its full photo form, but obvioulsly thats not what we see. But it wouldnt make it as fun and exciting to program to use, which is probably what they were aiming for.

Yes agreed but sometimes overstating things too much can lead to disappointment when you see the real thing. ( as the actress said to the bishop :evil: )

I quite like the full on pictures I have to admit, while I know its not what we can see through the EP, it gives you an idea of what your looking at actualy looks like if that makes sense.

The option to toggle between the two though would be a very welcome addition.

My thoughts exactly, something to give you the real feel as it were...

Yes, what a complete let down it is for a free program.. :p

My sentiment exactly...A free program that allows you to operate your mount with another free program so you can take images and edit them with more free programs...this astronomy is a rip off. why can't they get it right :D

It might be me but I get the idea somebody is poking fun at me here :eek::grin:

But some good points there, I shall read the guide (thanks ronl) and see what I, sorry we are missing out on......

Steve

I'd like to be able to take a picture of my garden and use that as the landscape :grin:

and

It is possible in Stellarium, though I believe a little tricky, never tried it though.

Yes Alex, it can be done although when i read about it, it didn't seem that easy but I am getting to be a bit of a techno noob these days

Maybe I'm odd but I don't want something that shows me exactly what it looks like with the scope :smiley:

I've learned enough now to realise that the views of most astro objects can vary massively from night to night and even from hour to hour due to seeing conditions. Under the best conditions an object, especially a deep sky one, can look superb even in a small aperture scope and in poor conditions even a 12" or more scope struggles to show more than a blurry patch. So objects simply don't have a consistent "look" though a given scope / magnification.

I also like the personal voyage of discovery to find out what an object does look like with my scopes, my eyes and from my back yard. If I see representations of this then I feel there is a risk that I won't observe the object without preconceived notions and a critical eye. Sometimes I think that the mind can see what it expects to be there rather than what is actually there which does not really help with stuff which is on the margins of what the scope / observer / seeing conditions.

So I'm quite happy with software or printed matter which shows me where an object is at a given time / location but please leave the thrill of investigation and discovery to me :grin:

Maybe I'm odd but I don't want something that shows me exactly what it looks like with the scope :smiley:

I've learned enough now to realise that the views of most astro objects can vary massively from night to night and even from hour to hour due to seeing conditions. Under the best conditions an object, especially a deep sky one, can look superb even in a small aperture scope and in poor conditions even a 12" or more scope struggles to show more than a blurry patch. So objects simply don't have a consistent "look" though a given scope / magnification.

I also like the personal voyage of discovery to find out what an object does look like with my scopes, my eyes and from my back yard. If I see representations of this then I feel there is a risk that I won't observe the object without preconceived notions and a critical eye. Sometimes I think that the mind can see what it expects to be there rather than what is actually there which does not really help with stuff which is on the margins of what the scope / observer / seeing conditions.

So I'm quite happy with software or printed matter which shows me where an object is at a given time / location but please leave the thrill of investigation and discovery to me :grin:

my point initially raised john is that through most software u get an imaged version that gives people, myself included expectations above what they wil realistically achieve. This caused me a little disapointment at first although I have now come to terms with what i ahould realistically expect to see.

I'm not sure you can illustrate digitally just how subtle some of the objects and features we view actually are.

If you observe from a moderately light polluted location some objects will be all but invisible even with large aperture scopes and yet the same objects can be clearly seen and really obvious under a truly dark sky even with a small scope. How do you set about illustrating that ?.

I'm not sure you can illustrate digitally just how subtle some of the objects and features we view actually are.

If you observe from a moderately light polluted location some objects will be all but invisible even with large aperture scopes and yet the same objects can be clearly seen and really obvious under a truly dark sky even with a small scope. How do you set about illustrating that ?.

Hopefully there will be food for thought from others, I have some ideas on this matter and been thinking about this very problem in my small project I am working on. It could be crudely done in various ways, a lot of it would be empirical the way I am going with it, and then build upon with more rigour in over time I hope. Anyway my stab at it so far. Not that it is the best invention since sliced bread, perhaps a feeble attempt so far :) but hopefully to give a rough impression http://stargazerslou...r/#entry1975476

Now I also have a good reason to ask at the next star party to look through all the scopes around to gain the experience needed to get a better feel for it :D

cracking idea alex, are you going to use some kind of coding to degrade hubble style picture according to type of telescope used or similar. Would be a fab bit of work if you could manage that.

I'd like to be able to take a picture of my garden and use that as the landscape :grin:

It is possible in Stellarium, though I believe a little tricky, never tried it though.

It is quite possible and extremely useful to make a custom background in Stellarium. The trickiest bit I found was getting it aligned to the compass correctly. There is a tutorial how to do it in the Primers and Tutorials section http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/83937-tutorial-custom-stellarium-landscapes/

Here is an old screenshot of a planetary alignment over my back fence.

531958_10200120665243916_341915040_n.jpg

Archived