Worth risking?

Naemeth

Not necessarily for now, but Agena Astro has the 25mm TV plossls for only $120, adding $14.90 shipping, it only comes to $134.90 (or £88.15). At 73% of the new UK cost, is it worth risking, and what costs will I get stung with if it goes through customs - will it work out cheaper than the UK even in the worst case scenario?

It also has the 11mm and Nagler 3-6 Zoom at cheaper-than-UK prices...

Ah, I thought they were £120. This barely makes it a good deal at all.

The Nagler Zoom might be a nice saving, but maybe not the plossls. I think I'll be better getting them 2nd hand for saving money from new.

I think John has provided a good rule of thumb, but if you want a more precise calculation, if your parcel is “intercepted” you will have to pay 20% VAT. The question over import duty is a flat rate of 2.5% if the value of the goods is less than £630 but over £135 (so assuming you only purchase one EP you should be ok). Duty is waived if the amount would be less than £9. Then of course you get Parcelfarce (not a typo :grin: ) or another firm’s handling charge which will be around £13.

And do not forget, the spot FX rate for GBP to USD might be 1.53 but you will not get quite such a good rate on your credit card. Perhaps more like 1.49 to 1.50.

All in all, does not seem like the saving is worth the effort.

Archived