Ceph and Cass

Worse time lapse ever...but there's hope

emadmoussa

Hola,

I was planning on getting an astro video cam for sky time lapse. I gave the idea a miss as I realized I can achieve similar results using the EOS 1100D.

Last night the moon was shinning and the stupid street light was glowing in my eyes - I couldn't really see many stars with my naked eye. Not to mention the sky never really gets dark in mid summer, it was still dark blue and visibility was hopeless case (Gosh, I hate summer sky). Nonetheless, I shoved the camera on the window cell and tilted towards the sky (supported by a little towel :) )to see what it can do. I timed it to take 20 sec exposure images once every 3.5 minutes - 200 images in total. I miscalculated as it was going to mount to about 11 hours of continuous shooting. I was simply 4 hours away from daylight...DOH!!! I ended up with 60 images only.

Anyway, now I know what can be done and with a better lens and a camera mount, and a little bit of dedication hopefully professional results will be produced. Now, watch and laugh.

http://youtu.be/wda5zGnT9F0

Also, I always found clouds fascinating. Ignore the flashing...the lens wasn't great and got the camera to use flash every now and then in the middle of daylight...

http://youtu.be/MjH0cFgrno8

Hey, that cloud one's a cracker (shame about the flash though) what software did you use to process it....in fact, can you give us a run down on the procedure for us uneducated (in the art of time lapse). well done, I wanna have a go at this now.

Hey, that cloud one's a cracker (shame about the flash though) what software did you use to process it....in fact, can you give us a run down on the procedure for us uneducated (in the art of time lapse). well done, I wanna have a go at this now.

Sure, no problem.

For shooting the images I used the native Canon software. It's pretty simple and straightforward.

For processing I use Adobe Premiere - make the images into a video, save it, open the video and reduce the duration from 100% to a minimum of 2000%.

I think there are free software for such a purpose.

• Like 1