SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M16 The Eagle Nebula in NB with MN190 - WIP

Gina

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I need to do something about the stars. They are bigger in the OIII and SII - I guess this is probably down to the binning. Maybe I'd be better not binning and increasing the exposure by 3 times. I think the OIII is the worst. Any suggestions most welcome :)

Here's the Hubble pallette version. In the second image I've reduced the magenta by selective colour > magentas and -100% on the magenta. The stars are still bad though.

post-13131-0-30894200-1373110263_thumb.p post-13131-0-39204200-1373110117_thumb.p

Well, I'm not having much joy tonight :( Just can't get AstroTortilla to work! It solved the star pattern once then crashed at "re-centering". Restarting it didn't work so I rebooted the computer (which usually solves problems) but now it just won't solve. Plenty to solve on but it won't solve. So I'm having a bit of a rest and think... indoors, with TeamViewer to keep an eye on it.

I need to do something about the stars. They are bigger in the OIII and SII - I guess this is probably down to the binning. Maybe I'd be better not binning and increasing the exposure by 3 times. I think the OIII is the worst. Any suggestions most welcome :)

Do you stretch each data stack prior to merging into the HST palette channels? I ask as some do and some don't as I understand it. If you do, have you tried reducing the stars at this stage in SII and OIII to match the star size of the stretched Ha data? Noel's actions has a quick and easy star reduction tool.

Do you stretch each data stack prior to merging into the HST palette channels? I ask as some do and some don't as I understand it. If you do, have you tried reducing the stars at this stage in SII and OIII to match the star size of the stretched Ha data? Noel's actions has a quick and easy star reduction tool.

Yes, I stretch each image to around the same resulting luminance and contrast before merging in PS. Then a final tweek on the curves using the histogram window to equalise them as much as I can before using selective colour.

Just looked at Noel's Actions web site and it looks very useful - I know lots of people use them - so I'm going to buy it :) Thank you for the suggestion :)

Noels actions are very good Gina - I don't use them all, but there are some in the collection that are excellent.

Thank you Sara :) I've just ordered it/them. The price seems reasonable enough :)

The hubble version looks great Gina. I'm no expert but I cheat a bit with the stars in nb. I select the stars and do some de-saturation until they look reasonable (if only white)

Dave

Thanks Dave :) I'll doctor the stars when I get Noel's Actions.

I've now stacked the subs from last night and can post the individual stacked images. Ha is 2 from last night and 3 from the 5th. OIII is 4 x10m from last night. SII is 3 x 10m from last night. I can't combine any 2x2 binned subs with unbinned ones in DSS.

post-13131-0-04839900-1373306185_thumb.p post-13131-0-78104100-1373306217_thumb.p post-13131-0-21456200-1373306251_thumb.p

Hubble pallette combined image processed in PS. Two versions - resized to show the whole image and cropped showing the central part.

post-13131-0-20637700-1373310556_thumb.p post-13131-0-27164400-1373310410_thumb.p

Hoping to collect some more data tonight again using all unbinned subs as that seems better. ie. Ha 5m, OIII 10m, OIII 10m, SII 10m, SII 10m repeated as long as the gods allow. If I can an hour or two each night it'll get there eventually :D Got just an hour and a half last night.

That's lovely Gina. Your best image yet I'd say

Thank you :) Yes, I think it is :)

I'm gradually getting more data - 2 Ha, 4 OIII and 3 SII last night before EQMOD stopped responding. I'm getting that problem every time now - EQMOD dying and killing the guiding after a couple of hours (or less). I really need to nail this one - it's a big problem. I'm now thinking this could be due to other software starting up on a schedule but I don't know what. I've disabled auto-updates and scheduled AV runs etc. AFAIK. This was by going into the software concerned and setting options but I wonder if there's something else hiding in the morass that is Win 7 et al.

Here the latest Hubble pallete update. Managed about an hour an a half again last night before EQMOD ASCOM stopped responding. Total then of 8 x 5m Ha over 3 sessions, 8 x 10m OIII over 2 sessions and 6 x 10m SII over 2 sessions.

post-13131-0-18132900-1373398153_thumb.p

Here the latest Hubble pallete update. Managed about an hour an a half again last night before EQMOD ASCOM stopped responding. Total then of 8 x 5m Ha over 3 sessions, 8 x 10m OIII over 2 sessions and 6 x 10m SII over 2 sessions.

post-13131-0-18132900-1373398153_thumb.p

lovely work there Gina. You have got a lovely 3d effect there with the pillars. Sods law with all this cracking weather we have been having, I am on a family holiday with no kit! We are of course having lovely weather here in Dorset, but...... -_-

Archived