SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M16 The Eagle Nebula in NB with MN190 - WIP

Gina

Following on from my widefield image I'm now concentrating on the Eagle Nebula close up using the MN190 at 1000mm FL as opposed to the 105mm lenses. After an abortive arttempt last night, tonight looks like being more successful :) Cured some finger trouble from yesterday as well as the moon being further away. Transparency is not the best though. Started off with 4m subs binned 2x2 to see the ratio of Ha:OIII:SII. Ha is at least twice as strong as OIII and SII. I've now set up for 10m Ha unbinned and 8m OIII and SII binned 2x2.

Here's the first 4m Ha binned 2x2. Now I shall start a new thread for the Eagle Nebula only as this thread is Eagle and Omega widefield.

post-13131-0-06487100-1372203662_thumb.p

Scope :- MN190

Camera :- Atik 314L+ mono CCD

Filters :- Astrodon 5nm Ha, 3nm OIII and 5nm SII

Guiding :- OAG with SX Lodestar and PHD

Image Processing :- DSS, RegiStar, Photoshop CS5

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Conditions deteriorated as the night went on and this mornings results show only 4 good 10m Ha subs and 2 poor ones. The rest were unusable. I've stacked and processed the 6 and the 4 separately. I think the stack of 4 is slightly better. The OIII and SII were poor even binned 2x2 but I'll see what I can do with them.

Here's the two Ha stacks.

post-13131-0-03603700-1372234358_thumb.p post-13131-0-99006100-1372234429_thumb.p

Same happened here, Gina. The sky looked clear when I went out at 10:30pm-ish, but by 1am it was looking distinctly hazy and by 1:45am I'd given up. The Moon was shining through the bedroom window when I went to bed, but by 2am even that had disappeared.

James

What I have done once or twice is make full stacks and selective stacks using only the best subs, as you present here. I then blended them so as to use the full stack only for NR in the faintest parts of the image. I simply selected and erased the brighter parts of the full stack before flattening.

This is a thrilling and iconic object. I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Olly

That single ten minute one is nice.

You can tell the conditions weren't perfect in that first one. Those stars are a bit soft.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Tapatalk 2

Thank you Neil :) Yes, and it didn't get any better - still at least/last I've got something :D More data and better conditions and I can see hope for this one :)

What I have done once or twice is make full stacks and selective stacks using only the best subs, as you present here. I then blended them so as to use the full stack only for NR in the faintest parts of the image. I simply selected and erased the brighter parts of the full stack before flattening.

This is a thrilling and iconic object. I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Olly

Thank you Olly - good advice :)

Good luck with more data Gina,

Looks indeed promising.

Mark

Thank you Neil :) Unfortunately the forecast is for cloudy night skies for the next 10 days - not that they can forecast that far ahead, I might all change.

Same happened here, Gina. The sky looked clear when I went out at 10:30pm-ish, but by 1am it was looking distinctly hazy and by 1:45am I'd given up. The Moon was shining through the bedroom window when I went to bed, but by 2am even that had disappeared.

James

I went to bed about 1:15am leaving it all running unattended. It was looking alright then though not the best of conditions with dew forming. Guiding managed to hang on until dawn with the odd jittery sub.

The stack with only 4 sub. seems to me slighty better; I like to think what could you can obtain with 15 or 20 good subframes: a cleanest image, without doubt. But against the bad weather, we can't do nothing..

Anyway, my congrats.. :smiley:

Thank you Roberto :) I agree, very little good weather :(

Well I've stacked and stretched the OIII and SII for what it's worth. Only 3 subs of OIII and 2 subs of SII both binned 2x2. I'll combine them with the Ha and see what I get later.

post-13131-0-79623800-1372242004_thumb.p post-13131-0-35847500-1372241633_thumb.p

And here's the "natural colour" version. Ha + SII -> Red OIII -> Green and OIII + 25% Ha -> Blue then processed in PS to bring out and balance the colours. I might be able to get it better but there's very little data to process.

post-13131-0-37830200-1372250969_thumb.p

nice capture Gina I like the hubble process

Thank you Andy :) Yes, I do now too - more colourful and shows more detail from the SII.

Archived