Ceph and Cass

Stargazing location: Greenham Common (old AFB)

dark_marc

Did make the way up to the old airfield today to enjoy a bit of cloudless sky.

I went for the eastern tip of what used to be the runway. There is - just where Old Thornford Rd makes a turn to the left - some flat concrete platform (middle of pic), approx 15m in diameter).

Overall pretty good location for a start into observation, especially since there is no street lighting anywhere. Had a nice and unconstraint view on Saturn who made his way across the sky and also the moon came up spectacular in a yellow/orange-ish tone.

HOWEVER, in the top left corner of the pic you do see some buildings. Some clinic I believe...they do have three nasty spotlights pointing towards the airfield so no way I could even make a try to spot the Andromeda Galaxy somewhere around NNE to NE. Also today I realised how much of Readings light pollution is still visible around here even tho 10+ miles away.

Next time I'll try my luck further south on the airfield closer to its centre.

post-30988-137220172738_thumb.jpg