Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sell everything and get a motorbike or keep persevering and throw a bit more money at it.

ncjunk

Hi,

Genuine question this one as i was about to sell my eq6 to help fund a new controller for the mesu

when i came across some problems. So i informed the buyer and gave him a refund as i don't like

selling something if its not in good working order.

So this has lead to the above question entering my mind for the first time in 6 years. I've got an eq6

I wouldn't be happy to sell to anyone unless they wanted a project. A mesu being upgraded as we

speak to the sitech controller, a c11 and a couple of cameras.

I figure i could sell it all, at a substantial loss, and have a couple of grand to get a motorbike.

Or keep on struggling on and trying to get my fully automated observatory up and running.

I figure i'd end up taking a big hit on the mesu selling it second hand or fork out another 1,500 finishing

Off the astro set-up and keep at it.

It's interesting how a couple of setbacks can change your outlook. The eq6 was showing too high a

Pe and a tightspot on one of the gears then the led broke(on saturday when i was testing it before sending it out)

and a power spike took out my arduino running the power and the homeplug av network plug.

I now understand the other threads i've seen like this before and why some people have sold up and are using

Robotic telescopes paying monthly.

Aahhh...:(

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is just me but I would rather shell out a bit more and mix my problems than take an even bigger hit selling everything second hand. But thats just my logic. If you think you're getting burned out maybe take a break from everything for a while then come back to it with a fresh pair of eyes and mind set. You'd be kicking your self for a long time if you rush into any decision that has this much money on the line as well as all the previous time spent. Best of luck with your decisions.

i feel your pain! i have had many evenings thinking, ARGHHH WHY DO I BOTHER! but when it goes well :rolleyes: it reminds me why :grin:

only you can make that decision. i do find that not concentrating on any one particular aspect of astronomy does stop me getting jaded or too frustrated with imaging or just the visual side of it.that said it also probably stops me producing better images as well, but i am happy with what i do and that is the most important thing. whether its freezing my nether regions looking for a comet/fuzzy blob, or planetary imaging, imaging DSO's, the sun or the moon or just widefield they all have their appeal

Geez, I'm moving to Spain next week and am in the market for a EQ6 and C11 but am not in a rush, mind you I don't know how up for a project I would be with the mount. Depends how big of a project it would be.

I don't like recommending to people to sell their gear though, always would suggest to hold on to it but really only you can know whats best for your future plans.

Not sure if this helps or makes things harder.

It's a really tough one that Neil - The biggie for me would be the loss that I'd make on selling the astro stuff, especially as I know that Mesu has hardly been out of the box. But, forget the euro's for a bit - What do you enjoy the most? Which do you think would give you the most pleasure at this moment?

But as you say, is this just a gliche and then once it's sorted you'll feel better? Would you feel happy using remote scopes or do you prefer to try to get the data yourself? Personally, I'd always feel rather detached from a robotic seup in 'Outer Mongolia'. Which one will fit in with your life at the moment?

Questions, questions!! Sorry!! But can you answer them?

I would take a few weeks or whatever it took to clear my head and like someone has previously said, take a fresh look at things. Forget about your automated observatory for now and just have a break.

Just my thoughts on what I think I would do.

Hope everything works out for you which ever path you take.

Rob.

I would be very loath to make a quick decision. You say that you would take a substantial loss and this makes you think carefully, then consider how you would feel if you sold all your kit and six months/a year down the line felt you wanted to get back into the hobby as using a robotic scope didn't give you the same satisfaction.

A really difficult decision, good luck whatever you decide.

Wheels in spain are great fun, i had a cbr600 here until a year and a half ago when i sold it.

My knees ache after a while on the cbr600 so no chance of me getting a fireblade steve! Great picture though.

In the uk i had a cbr in smokin joes colours, purple and yellow....great fun.

I like my cbrs :D

Thanks people, always nice to get some feedback from people who know.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Tapatalk 2

Geez, I'm moving to Spain next week and am in the market for a EQ6 and C11 but am not in a rush, mind you I don't know how up for a project I would be with the mount. Depends how big of a project it would be.

I don't like recommending to people to sell their gear though, always would suggest to hold on to it but really only you can know whats best for your future plans.

Not sure if this helps or makes things harder.

Depends if your mechanically minded.

I think it could do with new motor gears and a better worm gear on the ra. I've replaced all the bearings, which as it turns out make very little difference.

It's annoyed me this eq6 especially after using the mesu and realising how much easier it is.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Tapatalk 2

Neil, I think we all go through this at some point, not the bike, but thinking of selling up and using the cash for something else. More often than not we regret it in the long run, and then it cost more to start over again.

I don't follow your last comment as it's unclear to me if you are saying the EQ6 is easier to use than the Muse 200 or vice verca - The Muse is a 6000 euro mount, and my guess is that it will out perform the EQ6 by a long shot, probably in payload and accuracy. If so then keep the muse and flog the EQ6 at a very reduced price to reflect the work it needs. Or strip the EQ6 and re-build to reduce the binding and PE and sell it for a higher price that will help you fulfill your dream of a fully automated observatory.

Adding on from something Sara has commented on, it has to be whatever you think makes you the most happiest - its been years since I rode bikes (if you can call an RD125 twin circa 1984 a true bike - certainly not a CB600 or Fireblade) but from my experience you can still get a lemon and find you are spending your weekends with parts laid out on the garage floor rather than throwing it into sweeping corners, and then you wish you had never sold your astro gear....

But really we could all give you our opinions... bottom line is it's your choice and only you can make that call

depends what bike your getting 600s are for girls, you want something fast like a gsxr 1000 what bike are you thinking of, my wife often says to me if you miss your bikes that much sell your telescope and part fund your bike, I have thought about nothing else the last few months but I love astronomy, this site and all the people on it.so it is very hard to decide

Personally, I would not want to become a "temporary Australian" by getting a bike, but it may be different in Spain and it was 15 years ago in the UK, when I loved riding my GSX-550. However, I did sell my big imaging setup a couple of years back, although I still retain a Mak, mount and camera, but my thing is 4x4s, as there are still so many places around Oz where you need one and so many remote tracks through forests, even 45min drive away. So my 'bike' is a 1981 Nissan Patrol, which takes me where there's no-one!

depends what bike your getting 600s are for girls, you want something fast like a gsxr 1000 what bike are you thinking of, my wife often says to me if you miss your bikes that much sell your telescope and part fund your bike, I have thought about nothing else the last few months but I love astronomy, this site and all the people on it.so it is very hard to decide

Yep i'm a big girl! The 600 is plenty fast enough to outrun most cars and get yourself killed so i just don't need the extra acceleration/speedof a blade.

To make it even worse it would be a bmw f650gs (the single) because its comfortable and has good mpg. I had one in the middle of my cbrs and it was great for cruising around the place, not as good as the cbr at accelerating away from a car thats being an idiot though (burst of speeds got me out of trouble a few times)

So i'm not the only one faulksy :D

Don't for a moment think that a bike won't cause you hassle..... I was the proud owner of a SP1 that had kept dropping onto one in corners. 130bhp to about 40 and then back to 130 mid-corner :shocked: (turned out to be a chaffed wire that took ages to locate!)

IMG_8145-01.jpg

Then a Fireblade whose gearbox exploded at 125mph, promptly locking the back wheel. Luckily the hot oil that covered my right boot also covered the rear tyre...cue a 1/2 mile long fishtailing skid to a stop (and a half mile long skidmark in my undies!) :eek: :eek:

Bikes are lovely in the summer but with the amount of traffic and the amount of pot holes these days I find it safer not to ride anymore. All to easy these days to hop onto your bike and 10 mins later you no longer exist. But they really are fun, I know.

Being into fast cars rather than bikes I can't sensibly comment on the latter but you haven't yet given your new system it's final shake-down so selling up now doesn't really make sense to me unless you really know that your dream of remote operation is never going to happen. You seem quite close to completion of the project with the arrival of the SiTech Servo II upgrade.

I wish you luck.

Sent from my iPhone from somewhere dark .....

I love the big trailees, prefering the sit up and beg position which after years of teen trials and motorcross is kind of pre-programmed. Though I still feel the odd pang to ride, I doubt I will buy anything big, new or shiney - I would prefer something lighter and less expensive that I could drop without crying and be able to pick up and push without giving myself a hernia. The fundoros are going in the right direction, but still more of a commuter machine - maybe one of the proper 350 Enduros like the KTM/Beta. Nobbly tyres not so good on the road, but a hell of a lot more fun off road. Having driven around northern spain/basque country, I'd certainly feel a lot safer off the main drag ;)

Personally I'd keep hold of the astronomy kit, even if putting things on hold for a bit - probably a better investment than bikes, but with a little Xen I'm sure you can get the NEQ6 back up and running properly, then perhaps sell this on for a fun bike?

Yep i'm a big girl! The 600 is plenty fast enough to outrun most cars and get yourself killed so i just don't need the extra acceleration/speedof a blade.

To make it even worse it would be a bmw f650gs (the single) because its comfortable and has good mpg. I had one in the middle of my cbrs and it was great for cruising around the place, not as good as the cbr at accelerating away from a car thats being an idiot though (burst of speeds got me out of trouble a few times)

So i'm not the only one faulksy :D

I was only messing mate, each to there own 600 are nice, and the bmw your on about good choice.

Don't for a moment think that a bike won't cause you hassle..... I was the proud owner of a SP1 that had kept dropping onto one in corners. 130bhp to about 40 and then back to 130 mid-corner :shocked: (turned out to be a chaffed wire that took ages to locate!)

IMG_8145-01.jpg

Then a Fireblade whose gearbox exploded at 125mph, promptly locking the back wheel. Luckily the hot oil that covered my right boot also covered the rear tyre...cue a 1/2 mile long fishtailing skid to a stop (and a half mile long skidmark in my undies!) :eek: :eek:

colin Edwards eat your heart out, love the sp1,s my mate had one then got the sp2 which he didn't like as much,i have only had 4 cylinder bikes, gearbox fail at 125mph that's scary good job you wasn't on a bend

Given up on motor bikes now.This is what

i now, use for transport .It is a Piaggo, 250

scooter.Really good for getting around on.

No need, to get all leatherd up.Had enough

soakings, on the old bike.See a lot of these,

in Spain.

Steve.

post-1842-0-04639500-1372153289_thumb.jp

Archived