Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lunar Superstitions

Paranoidsam

I've just been trying to convince some people that tonight's full-moon isn't going to send them crazy, or cause natural disasters, or whatever other rubbish the internet spews out.

Despite my best efforts, people aren't convinced that a full-moon is no different (other than appearance, and spring tides) to any other phase, and continue to believe that there's something "different" about a full-moon. Especially since this is a particularly bright moon...

Elsewhere online, people are panicking that it's signalling the end of the world...

I just don't understand how people always freak out over natural events that have been understood for centuries... :huh:

The moon is always full. We just can't see it sometimes due to the amount of sunlight hitting it. Therefore, technically, people should go nuts every night, not just those where we can see the entire disc of our neighbour.

Remind them of this and tell them to stop being silly ;)

The moon is always full. We just can't see it sometimes due to the amount of sunlight hitting it. Therefore, technically, people should go nuts every night, not just those where we can see the entire disc of our neighbour.

Remind them of this and tell them to stop being silly ;)

Now which Pink Floyd album does that remind me of?

My friends 5 month old would not sleep on saturday night and his girlfriend was convinced it was due to the super moon.

I laughed for nearly an hour. Hard.

Some people believe everything they read.

I confess I get a little irked at the media hype around this which won't help people who don't understand it. It's not a 'Super moon', it's just a full moon which looks a little bit brighter/bigger, but not very much unless you take images of it and compare.

The description makes it sound like a once in a lifetime thing, whereas its actually pretty common for the moon to be a little closer to us.

Stu

I confess I get a little irked at the media hype around this which won't help people who don't understand it. It's not a 'Super moon', it's just a full moon which looks a little bit brighter/bigger, but not very much unless you take images of it and compare.

The description makes it sound like a once in a lifetime thing, whereas its actually pretty common for the moon to be a little closer to us.

Stu

It perhaps speaks volumes that the term "super-moon" was coined by an astrologer...

My friends 5 month old would not sleep on saturday night and his girlfriend was convinced it was due to the super moon.

I laughed for nearly an hour. Hard.

Some people believe everything they read.

If the Moon really is keeping the kid awake... I'd suggest a pair of thick curtains.

Recall in 1999 that a work colleague deduced that the final total eclipse of the millennium was extermely meaningful as the eclipse coincided with a new moon...

Yeah... amazing "coincidence" that.

I don't understand people anymore. They think this stuff is "meaningful" or "special" in some way, but are totally ignorant about it... :huh:

Archived