Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

bogdog

supermoon tonight

This whole subject is getting very frustrating to me! Everyone on here, and on the BBC states that it's tonight, and National Geographic, heavensabove.com, and other telescope magazines all say tomorrow. Aaaaaarrrggghhh! Which one is it? :icon_shaking:

Will it not be as impressive on the 24th (which is when I will get clear skies)?

Well every report that I have seen, other than two on here, have said it is on the 23rd, which is tomorrow, and it is.

• Like 1

Well every report that I have seen, other than two on here, have said it is on the 23rd, which is tomorrow, and it is.

At least I'm not the only one! OH thinks there is something wrong with me cos I was shouting at Radio 5 for saying it was tonight!

And then I shouted at him because he thinks that everything on Radio 5 is correct!

I'm sure it won't make any difference what day you use, the moon isn't exactly going to move that far (height above sea level wise) over a day or two, is it?

Edited by Cath
  • Like 1

another link on the astro lounge which might clarify things - or not !

andrew

Edited by andrew63

What time is it highest in the south west of England?

Trying to find info but can't seem to find any ;(

You are better looking at it on the Horizon. here's Neil deGrasse Tyson on the "Supermoon" brilliant!

Edited by mallorcasaint
  • Like 1

I'm sure it won't make any difference what day you use, the moon isn't exactly going to move that far (height above sea level wise) over a day or two, is it?

It is very important if you happen to be one of the clangers :grin:

Full Moon occurs at a specific time and may not be during the local hours of darkness. If it does occur during daylight then perhaps you're better off assuming the night hours closest to the actual time when the Moon is full is when you'll see it at its largest. Either side is hardly going to make a huge difference though.

Personally, I reckon it makes very little difference at all unless you're imaging. Perigee when the Moon is close to full is a right sod for me because with my usual choice of imaging kit (450D and 127 Mak) there are only a few tens of pixels to spare around the disc and any inaccuracy in tracking means it drifts out of the frame.

James

if skies clear i will try image it at moment been lightening thundering

fireball cam capture shows the massive bolt.

6196_10151734985057288_443028519_n.jpg

and me digital camera video frame capture from using me samsung s1050

1013091_10151735056132288_1517227100_n.jpg

Think it's super lightening day rather that super moon :)

Edited by Stargazing_Cliff

You are better looking at it on the Horizon. here's Neil deGrasse Tyson on the "Supermoon" brilliant!

this really gave me a giggle...

There genuinely is a discernable difference in the size of the Moon between apogee and perigee, but I really think you'd be hard-pressed to see it with the naked eye. With a camera, it's easy to spot. These two images were taken with the same camera at the same focal length and were processed in exactly the same way. The only difference is the distance to the Moon:

moon-2013-03-19-small.png

moon-2013-04-27-2-small.png

The second image, shot near perigee if I recall correctly, barely fits in the frame, whereas the first image, shot five weeks previously, has plenty of space around it.

James

• Like 1

Nice Images James and a very good way of presenting the differences :laugh:

Edited by Pig

Thanks James and all for clearing this up.

Liked the short clip too.

Partly cloudy here in Plymouth, so there may be a chance to see.

Tim

It looks like Monday is a clear night in Northants :laugh:

I got these pics with the 'instamatic' of the Moon rising over Emley Moor. It was spectacular! :smiley:

post-26073-0-46917700-1372288256_thumb.j

post-26073-0-13825200-1372288310_thumb.j