Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

supermoon tonight

bogdog

This whole subject is getting very frustrating to me! Everyone on here, and on the BBC states that it's tonight, and National Geographic, heavensabove.com, and other telescope magazines all say tomorrow. Aaaaaarrrggghhh! Which one is it? :icon_shaking:

Will it not be as impressive on the 24th (which is when I will get clear skies)?

Well every report that I have seen, other than two on here, have said it is on the 23rd, which is tomorrow, and it is.

At least I'm not the only one! OH thinks there is something wrong with me cos I was shouting at Radio 5 for saying it was tonight!

And then I shouted at him because he thinks that everything on Radio 5 is correct!

I'm sure it won't make any difference what day you use, the moon isn't exactly going to move that far (height above sea level wise) over a day or two, is it?

It is very important if you happen to be one of the clangers :grin:

Full Moon occurs at a specific time and may not be during the local hours of darkness. If it does occur during daylight then perhaps you're better off assuming the night hours closest to the actual time when the Moon is full is when you'll see it at its largest. Either side is hardly going to make a huge difference though.

Personally, I reckon it makes very little difference at all unless you're imaging. Perigee when the Moon is close to full is a right sod for me because with my usual choice of imaging kit (450D and 127 Mak) there are only a few tens of pixels to spare around the disc and any inaccuracy in tracking means it drifts out of the frame.

James

There genuinely is a discernable difference in the size of the Moon between apogee and perigee, but I really think you'd be hard-pressed to see it with the naked eye. With a camera, it's easy to spot. These two images were taken with the same camera at the same focal length and were processed in exactly the same way. The only difference is the distance to the Moon:

moon-2013-03-19-small.png

moon-2013-04-27-2-small.png

The second image, shot near perigee if I recall correctly, barely fits in the frame, whereas the first image, shot five weeks previously, has plenty of space around it.

James

Archived