SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The SETI Institute

Hi all,

The SETI Institute is a private, nonprofit organization dedicated to scientific research, education and public outreach.

I've been really enjoying their talks recently, they invite really interesting speakers on to talk so worth subscribing to on youtube if you like this sort of thing.

Have marked it to watch later. thank you.

I used to think it would be fantastic to find other advance life forms out there, but these days am thinking a wiser step for us to make might be to not advertise our presence to the rest of the galaxy. Their are no guarantees that they are going to be nice towards us in anyway shape or form, we only have to look at what we ourselves do with other lifeforms (cows, barlambs, piggys, whales, rabbits, each other, etc etc etc) to see how they could be towards us, only, they could do far worse than what we already do - if you think about it.

After hearing Robert Nesbet talk the other day I couldn't help but share them. There is information discussed on SETI that I haven't found discussed anywhere else on the web.

With the aliens I guess it depends on whether they want to eat us, they may have their diet sorted by the time they've mastered space travel, but then they may fancy trying something new. We could be kept as their pets but it would also depend on how we act towards them on the first encounter. NASA would do a pretty good job of that I recon, they've probably got a selection of welcome speeches prepared.

It would depend on what they would want really, if an alien race did decide to come over and conquer us for lets say hypothetically resources and such, we would have no means to defend ourselves really, think about it, if they can travel to us and not we to them, they must have some awesome firepower against our puny missiles, Earth could be taken in a matter of weeks, if they hit our power and water source first, it would not be long before we crumble, even if all the countries combine their military together, which unfortunately I doubt, we never trust each other, humans are in fact the weaker race against outsiders, we are only superior against each other :)

• 3 weeks later...

Fears of evil aliens coming from deep space to conquer the Earth is hugely exaggerated. What are the reasons that they would come here to enslave our planet? Resources? There are billions of stars around and every star has its planets, comets, asteroids and other row materials. I can't see the reason why we should be afraid to establish contact with advanced civilizations.

• 2 weeks later...

Fears of evil aliens coming from deep space to conquer the Earth is hugely exaggerated. What are the reasons that they would come here to enslave our planet? Resources? There are billions of stars around and every star has its planets, comets, asteroids and other row materials. I can't see the reason why we should be afraid to establish contact with advanced civilizations.

I think that is actually down to the ethic/morality and general outlook of any races that may exist. If you look at evolution on Earth the most dominant spieces are usually the predators. In human terms, the most dominant people are the ones who spent the most time conquering other places and the best at those were generally the most technologically advanced. Warfare brings on our own technology in leaps and bounds where as when there is peace it just trundles slowly onwards so it pays to assume to some degree that any seriously advanced species may well have advanced so far due to being aggressive.

We'd all like to believe any aliens that came here would be benevolent but look at our own explorers and what they did to the places they discovered and you could probably see why a "Hope for the best but plan for the worst" mindset is advisable. But then humans as a species are destructive, greedy and violent. Someone once said "The greatest evidence that intelligent life exists elsewehere in the universe is that none of them have tried to contact us."

But, and this is off topic and I havnt seen anything elsewhere on here, has anyone actually seen anything strange while viewing the wide universe? I wold expect many astronomers have odd stories to tell.

Archived