Banner2.jpg.35fd74882a15b2b8a1b4142f7dcc8bed.jpg

Skywatcher Skymax 127 focusing

I'm new to all of this, but was recently given a skywatcher skymax 127 (lucky me, I know).

However, I've now had several frustrating nights trying to get it to work.

I think I've set it up correctly, but every time I try and focus on something I don't get anywhere. Tonight was a bright full moon, which I could see as a bright smudge. But having turned the focusing knob many (many) times, nothing happened.

Should the focus knob eventually stop? I can't get that far (I counted up to 200 part turns, but it still hadn't reached the end).

Anyone have any ideas?

with it set up, and an eyepiece inserted in the holder it should come to focus, sounds like you might have to turn it more than 200 part turns other direction, what eyepiece did you try it with

Does the blur/smudge get any smaller or cleared at all?

also have you got a diagonal in?

there is a lot of focus travel on a Mak but 200 turns sounds a lot!

Are you saying 200 full turns, or just 200 tweaks...

The focuser knob turns something like 22 or 23 full turns from end to end, but does eventually stop in both directions. I would try to focus the scope on something distant during the day if you're having trouble. That should give you a good starting point for viewing the Moon.

James

I'm new to all of this, but was recently given a skywatcher skymax 127 (lucky me, I know).

However, I've now had several frustrating nights trying to get it to work.

I think I've set it up correctly, but every time I try and focus on something I don't get anywhere. Tonight was a bright full moon, which I could see as a bright smudge. But having turned the focusing knob many (many) times, nothing happened.

Should the focus knob eventually stop? I can't get that far (I counted up to 200 part turns, but it still hadn't reached the end).

Anyone have any ideas?

If possible try focusing with a 25~ 30 mm eyepiece during day time on a distant object and turn the knob very slowly as it is very easy to overshoot critical focus.

Regards,

A.G

How are you getting on? Is the lack of focus maybe why the scope was given away?

Also please don't take this as patronising, but you did say you were new to this!

were you given any eyepieces with the scope? Are you looking into a hole or is there a kind of small lens on the scope?

Edited by knobby