SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First use of the 10mm Delos

Pig

Well I have got to say - what a view :smiley:

Even though it is still very light outside the view of the moon with this eyepiece is breath taking,

I am not going to be inside any longer so that is it for now. :grin:

Alan and Co thank you for the advice although I feel it will be expensive advice, the eyepiece is absolutely fantastic and I will be buying another within the next few hours,

14 or 17mm !!!!! ?

Shaun

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have the 14, 12, 10 and 8 and there's nothing between them for us. I was lucky to try a 17.3 at the last SGL party and that was a cracker too. The only thing that would put me off of the 17.3 would be if you might lose all common sense at some point and get a 21mm Ethos - would there be enough of a gap betwen the 17.3 Delos and 21mm Ethos? I'm still pondering that one!

We have the 14, 12, 10 and 8 and there's nothing between them for us. I was lucky to try a 17.3 at the last SGL party and that was a cracker too. The only thing that would put me off of the 17.3 would be if you might lose all common sense at some point and get a 21mm Ethos - would there be enough of a gap betwen the 17.3 Delos and 21mm Ethos? I'm still pondering that one!

i can see the danger :smiley:

I will wait for Saturn to come out and that will make my mind up for me :laugh:

The contrast is amazing, how does it turn the sky so dark without loosing the light ? :shocked:

Ok i'm back off out again the coffee is made

the eyepiece is absolutely fantastic and I will be buying another within the next few hours,

I know how you feel. Each one is a jewel. The big lens at the top looks just like a precious stone. its just finances which stop me from buying more.

I know how you feel. Each one is a jewel. The big lens at the top looks just like a precious stone. its just finances which stop me from buying more.

That is a very good description :grin:

The 10mm Delos is probably my favourite eyepiece in my EP case (and every EP is a Televue of one variety or another). I liked it so much I also purchased the 4.5mn and 14mm and am currently considering adding the 3.5mm to my collection as well. They really are that good!

Well the clouds have finally rolled in, so I have followed them and I have rolled in too :smiley:

I am so pleased I got to use Delos One (I have named it as it is so good) within the first week of purchasing it.

Delos Two will follow very shortly, probably by tomorrow, and i think it will be the 12mm.

I may even take a trip to London tomorrow to go and buy it :evil:

Something makes me think I am hooked :shocked:

The 10mm Delos is probably my favourite eyepiece in my EP case (and every EP is a Televue of one variety or another). I liked it so much I also purchased the 4.5mn and 14mm and am currently considering adding the 3.5mm to my collection as well. They really are that good!

I couldn't agree more Matthew :smiley:

Congrats on the Delos,they do offer a fantastic view.Does anyone have an opinion of the Delos on DSO's?My one and only Delos works great on eveything,& I may end up with a range of them myself.I hope your skies are clear Pig so you have the chance to try them all out!

They appear to work well on everything. I only have the one which is a low power on my scope 40x but it picks up dso's very easily even under city skies. admittedy I don't get much detail but that's a function of my limited apparture not the delos inability. The contrast on these things is amazing.

Well I may end up with a few, for my 90mm frac & also for a 10" Dob I'm gonna buy.8,14 & 17mm for sure-who knows-maybe I'll get EP fever too!That Nagler 3-6 zoom will always stay though,sky conditions have to be really good for the Delos to best it,but it does.As the Delos is on sale & the scope is not, the 8 & maybe the 10 could be on their way next week...who knows?!lol!Rowan what is the aperature of your scope?

Well I may end up with a few, for my 90mm frac & also for a 10" Dob I'm gonna buy.8,14 & 17mm for sure-who knows-maybe I'll get EP fever too!That Nagler 3-6 zoom will always stay though,sky conditions have to be really good for the Delos to best it,but it does.As the Delos is on sale & the scope is not, the 8 & maybe the 10 could be on their way next week...who knows?!lol!Rowan what is the aperature of your scope?

Its an 80mm refractor

Congrats on the Delos,they do offer a fantastic view.Does anyone have an opinion of the Delos on DSO's?My one and only Delos works great on eveything,& I may end up with a range of them myself.I hope your skies are clear Pig so you have the chance to try them all out!

I had no trouble spotting the Ring Nebula & the snowball last night even though it was quite light, I don't think I will need anything more powerful than the 10mm for my scope :smiley: It will be the 12mm for me next, hopefully today. :grin: I will stick to the 34mm Maxivision for higher power as for £130 it is outstanding. What size is your Delos Gerry ?

glad its good. I'm going to start replacing my high power end for delos now the scope is taken care of. my first one is going to be a 10mm. Then I plan to get the 8 then the 6. I think the 12 might be a long shot as I still rate the es at medium to lower powers but do find them wanting at high magnifications. They introduce false colour I can't tolerate

They appear to work well on everything. I only have the one which is a low power on my scope 40x but it picks up dso's very easily even under city skies. admittedy I don't get much detail but that's a function of my limited apparture not the delos inability. The contrast on these things is amazing.

The contrast is brilliant :laugh: I was very pleasantly surprised just how good it was.

glad its good. I'm going to stay replacing my high power end for delos now the scope is taken care of. my first one is going to be a 10mm. Then I plan to get the 8 then the 6. I think the 12 might be a long shot add I aim rate the es at medium l to lower powers but do find them wanting at high magnification

Graham what is the focal length of your Scope ?

glad its good. I'm going to start replacing my high power end for delos now the scope is taken care of. my first one is going to be a 10mm. Then I plan to get the 8 then the 6. I think the 12 might be a long shot as I still rate the es at medium to lower powers but do find them wanting at high magnifications. They introduce false colour I can't tolerate

I thought it was me everyone says how good the es82 is but the 4.7 is my least favourite eyepiece while the maxvision 24 uwa is quite lovely

Graham what is the focal length of your Scope ?

It's 1200mm but I see the false colour in the 4.7 and 6.7 and even a little in the 8.8 in all scopes. It's not CA violet fringing, it's more of a scuddy yellow brown fringe instead. I just don't like it. Other people have looked in my eyepieces and can't see what I'm seeing. I don't see this at all in the BGO which shows lovely, crisp neutral views. I want all my medium to high power to be orthoscopic quality with comfort attached hence the Delos :)

All the ES from 11mm to 18mm are great and because I don't look at anything bright in them they dont show false colour.

I thought it was me everyone says how good the es82 is but the 4.7 is my least favourite eyepiece while the maxvision 24 uwa is quite lovely

I'll possibly end up replacing my 4.7 for a 4.5 Delos too. I don't intend to lose any of the ES at all until I find I'm not using them.

Delos do look fantastic, I love that huge jewel of an eye portal on the top and the massive eye relief.

Does anyone have an opinion of the Delos on DSO's?

For us they've been great on galaxies, nebulae and planets, winning against T6 Naglers, Panoptics and Radians in a few battles (M51, M82, Orion Nebula, Jupiter). It's been fun comparing them against such good eyepieces and it's hard to come to definite conclusions other than the Delos is great, as there must be so many variables. Maybe under some circumstances the other EP's would win?

The one battle the Delos lost was seeing the Horsehead at the SGL star party, with the 19mm Panoptic (a lovely eyepiece that was a wrench to let go, but we had the 21mm Ethos) and hydrogen beta filter showing us the elusive horsey at last after fruitless chases at home with our 400P dob. Nothing could be seen in the 14mm Delos or our 21mm Ethos. But that may well be more to do with the 19mm of the Panoptic and field of view being more optimal than with our 14 Delos. A 17.3mm Delos would have been interesting!

The jury is out on viewing the sun in Hydrogen alpha. Our 8mm Radian is putting up a very good fight and is ahead on points, though we are finding it harder to do a comparison on the sun while trying to swap EP's in broad daylight. The Radian may hang on to its place in the EP case, they do seem great value second hand.

I had no trouble spotting the Ring Nebula & the snowball last night even though it was quite light, I don't think I will need anything more powerful than the 10mm for my scope :smiley: It will be the 12mm for me next, hopefully today. :grin: I will stick to the 34mm Maxivision for higher power as for £130 it is outstanding. What size is your Delos Gerry ?

My Delos is the 6mm,giving 105x with 630mm focal length 90mm refractor.I have the same experience, seeing some objects even through my light skies.This mag is a bit high for my scope for DSO's & will aquire some longer FL ones in future.Even at only 105x on a good night the Cassinni is sharp all the way around,with differing shades on Saturn itself,saw shadows of rings(or something) before.Can't wait for more reports Pig!

For us they've been great on galaxies, nebulae and planets, winning against T6 Naglers, Panoptics and Radians in a few battles (M51, M82, Orion Nebula, Jupiter). It's been fun comparing them against such good eyepieces and it's hard to come to definite conclusions other than the Delos is great, as there must be so many variables. Maybe under some circumstances the other EP's would win?

The one battle the Delos lost was seeing the Horsehead at the SGL star party, with the 19mm Panoptic (a lovely eyepiece that was a wrench to let go, but we had the 21mm Ethos) and hydrogen beta filter showing us the elusive horsey at last after fruitless chases at home with our 400P dob. Nothing could be seen in the 14mm Delos or our 21mm Ethos. But that may well be more to do with the 19mm of the Panoptic and field of view being more optimal than with our 14 Delos. A 17.3mm Delos would have been interesting!

The jury is out on viewing the sun in Hydrogen alpha. Our 8mm Radian is putting up a very good fight and is ahead on points, though we are finding it harder to do a comparison on the sun while trying to swap EP's in broad daylight. The Radian may hang on to its place in the EP case, they do seem great value second hand.

These comparisons are very valuable,especially between such well respected EP's.Not to take away from any other brand however.I like DSO "hunting" & with my little scope it is challenging,however in the long run my observation skills will improve because of it I think.When the budget allows a Dob will be ordered,& I may as well take advantage of the TV sale this summer.I know one thing....seeing the Horsehead is way out of my league!The 17.3mm Delos will be ordered for sure.How much mag were you guys using(20x aperature or.....)?

I'm very much enjoying my 10mm Delos too. It works well with my two main refractors and gives x69 in the 107 and x48 in the 76. As with others I am loving the eye relief, contrast and the huge lens! The sharpness is fantastic too, comparable with orthos definitely. Whilst I do enjoy wider field eps too, the 72 degrees seems perfectly adequate.

I just feel at the moment that I'm not properly using any of my kit because the summer skies don't allow it. Meaningful comparisons will wait for darker skies I think.

Also would agree with the previous post that there is plenty of merit in honing your observing skills with smaller instruments before upgrading. I still enjoy the challenge of seeing the most in whatever scope I'm using.

Stu

Archived