SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Comet ISON update!

Hirise's Hi Res camera did an astounding job :p

http://www.uahirise.org/releases/ison.php

Well it still depends on who you are listening too as to what the future for this comet might be.

http://astronomia.udea.edu.co/cometspage/

the hirise's images make the comet seem very small

and that last report is so bad news its going to fizzle or breakup, thats disapointing from that source. bruce gary's website also shows lack off brightening than expected

this all explains all the chatter about size and debris of ison flying around the internet

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

an possible explaination why ISON'S lack of brightness has plagued the comet, the experts from the "Planetary Science Institute" have reported that ISON is rotating with one pole away from the sun (so a large percentage of the surface volitiles have not been touched by the solar wind) so taking this into consideration the trip around our sun may not be as negative as previously thought.

http://www.psi.edu/news/ISON3.html

maybe the unusual behaviour and characteristics are due to this being ISON's first visit as reported in the article.

NASA has updated comet ISON's predicted trajectory in the JPL orbit diagram website, after its encounter eariler this month with Mars.

http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/sbdb.cgi?sstr=ison&orb=1

solution date 15th october 2013

changes

ISON wont travel directly over our north pole and 30th december will now be the closest day the earth gets to ISON

Anyone know roughly what magnitude it's at at the moment? Clear skies predicted here in a couple of days so might brave a 05:00 start to see it I can catch a glimpse (I quite like tracking objects like this over a couple of months). Cheers,

Andy.

I got set up ready for a 4pm start but because of the moon did not really get good shots till 5.30 suggest get all set up at 12midnight go to bed get up at 4.30 and image till 6am its easy to spot on a 30 second shot Iso of 800. Well worth the effort.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I was up at 4:30 at the beginning of the month (Like an idiot I went out with my 20cm newt thinking of predicted mag instead of checking)

and spent an hour looking for a mag 13.9 Comet with an 8 inch scope in the gathering light. Even Enke was out of my reach!

I will be up at 4:30 to have a look at both tomorrow morning, with Ison at 9 and Enke reported at Mag 8.

Even if unsuccessful I may still have enough gaps in the cloud to get my Jupiter "Fix" through.

Mick

I was up at 4:30 at the beginning of the month (Like an idiot I went out with my 20cm newt thinking of predicted mag instead of checking)

and spent an hour looking for a mag 13.9 Comet with an 8 inch scope in the gathering light. Even Enke was out of my reach!

I will be up at 4:30 to have a look at both tomorrow morning, with Ison at 9 and Enke reported at Mag 8.

Even if unsuccessful I may still have enough gaps in the cloud to get my Jupiter "Fix" through.

Mick

Best of luck -  also Comet Lovejoy - around mag 8 with Encke both binocular objects.  But don't forget a rather bright moon too !  

andrew

I had a look for Lovejoy last night - the best placed of the three and quite high by 1.30 but had no luck.  The sky was very washed by the moon so did not bother with ison or encke.  I think i'll wait for another week.

andrew

I had a go at Brewington but no luck. The sky seemed very bright last night.

I got up at 4am for a crack at ison, mars was easy enough but no such luck with the comet :(

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Captured ISON, LINEAR and Encke this morning, despite the Moon.
Encke was extremely large and very green in the raw images.
ISON is developing very nicely so far.
I will post the images when I have managed to find time to process them.

Captured ISON, LINEAR and Encke this morning, despite the Moon.

Encke was extremely large and very green in the raw images.

ISON is developing very nicely so far.

I will post the images when I have managed to find time to process them.

Encke is heading towards the Virgo clusters - sounds like a good photo opportunity !

andrew

We have had rubbich nights/mornings since I went out last to try Enke and Ison (They were in fact too dim for my scope at the time).

Gales and rain are lashing the windows at present, but once this low has passed we may get a clear look to the east in a couple of mornings

to start my Enke/Ison observing and hopefully a couple of others that are coming below 12th Mag just now.

Thanks for the link to Mike Broussards photos Martin, it looks like it is building nicely.

I just hope it gets reasonably bright at a descent seperation from the sun, Panstarrs was great, but small, and hard work without travelling

when at its best. 

Mick.

Archived