SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Huge solar prominence liftoff from Sun disc

AstroWolvy

A big quiescent prominence suddenly start to detach from the Sun disc, in few minutes it reach huge dimensions but with lower luminosity, the structure is dissolving with the magnetic lines. I could capture few moments of the event tuning gamma and exposure at each frame to compensate its fast evolution. The transparency was bad, a milky sky, but the seeing was better and let me to take few good frames even if I had to shorten the movies more then usual.

I saw the start of this liftoff on sdo website and decide to set as fast as possible the telescope, if i a checked it only half an hour first i could had follow the event since the start, but it is also true that 20 minutes after I would have seen nothing so I don't complain a lot eheh

Here you can watch at a high resolution mosaic of the prominence. and few other prominence of that day.

9037310052_1946b2efb2_n_d.jpg

9057926390_77d8b64d09_n_d.jpg

9057926186_e8540b4f37_n_d.jpg

The animation represent a close up portion of the Sun of June taken with a 100 ED refractor using a Daystar h-alpha filter at a focal of 2000mm.

Hope you like it, comments and questions are welcome and subscribe to my Youtube channel to see many more. :grin:

YouTube Channel

There was another huge flare and prom at 2.35 am this morning originating from the new AR on the lower west limb or 8o'clock position as we look at it.. Shame it was dark and I was asleep. I bet someone somewhere had a good view.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived