Eyepiece - Which next?

Naemeth

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What about a T6 Nagler, they are not so heavy? I had focuser issues with the SW M/N 190 until someone told me about a small alen screw that I could see for looking. Are you sure it in not an adjustment issue? I have never even seen one but Pentax XF's seem to have the approval of a few well respected members, the price is nicer too.

I second Shanes motion of everyone should have a Nagler zoom, they are superb eyepieces almost as sharp as an orthoscopic!

Alan

What about a T6 Nagler, they are not so heavy? I had focuser issues with the SW M/N 190 until someone told me about a small alen screw that I could see for looking. Are you sure it in not an adjustment issue? I have never even seen one but Pentax XF's seem to have the approval of a few well respected members, the price is nicer too.

Alan

Alan, I'm not sure if you're familiar with the focuser, but it is a faux-helical type focuser (eyepiece rotates as you move in and out of focus), and the problem is the plastic that supports this. Perhaps this picture will demonstrate the point (had to search for one as my camera is out of charge)

Heritage%20130%20dobbo%202345%2011%20sq.jpg

In the bottom right picture, you can see that the focuser is supported by plastic which is about 1cm thick. It's very prone to flex when a heavy eyepiece is put in the focuser. To change this, though, would require a whole re-design, and it's ultimately much cheaper to buy a normal 130P OTA and make a dob mount for it (either that or get a 150P/200P). This isn't something I'm planning on doing yet, as I like the semi-portability of the Heritage (portable by walking), whereas a larger dob wouldn't be portable for walking. I don't have my own car, so that is always something to consider :).

I could go with the T6 Naglers, but I'm really not sure how I'll feel going from an AFOV of 45/50 degrees to 82 degrees, but I think it's best if I take up Shane's offer to try the UWAs, and see if I like seeing that much sky all at once!

...I could go with the T6 Naglers, but I'm really not sure how I'll feel going from an AFOV of 45/50 degrees to 82 degrees, but I think it's best if I take up Shane's offer to try the UWAs, and see if I like seeing that much sky all at once!...

I remember how I felt when I moved from plossls to Naglers - it put a big :grin: on my face !

Also a hole in the bank account and a bad habit thats lasted years though .......

I remember how I felt when I moved from plossls to Naglers - it put a big :grin: on my face !

Also a hole in the bank account and a bad habit thats lasted years though .......

You've got me intrigued John and Alan... I can only hope the desire for ultra-wides doesn't engulf my wallet and all it's contents :Envy:.

Still, you never know, I could look through an ultra wide and hate the really wide view.... :rolleyes:

That's about as likely as sitting in a Ferrari and revving the engine and going 'naaaaah' and getting out.

UWAs are very very pleasing. But variety is also good.

I find low magnification UWAs are the best. At high power it's nice for sure too but I feel the adage about less nudging on a dob doesn't really stand up as I always find myself nudging the target in the centre 40% of the field of view anyway. Possibly that says more about field degradation of the ES eyepieces than the type of eyepieces. not sure if people with TV and that level of quality view field stop to field stop. I personally find moving the scope easier than my head.

That's about as likely as sitting in a Ferrari and revving the engine and going 'naaaaah' and getting out.

UWAs are very very pleasing. But variety is also good.

I find low magnification UWAs are the best. At high power it's nice for sure too but I feel the adage about less nudging on a dob doesn't really stand up as I always find myself nudging the target in the centre 40% of the field of view anyway. Possibly that says more about field degradation of the ES eyepieces than the type of eyepieces. not sure if people with TV and that level of quality view field stop to field stop. I personally find moving the scope easier than my head.

I agree that low power uwa eyepieces are better than high power. I much prefer using my maxvision 24mm uw eyepiece to my es 4.7mm. At higher powers I much prefer the 70 degrees of the pentax xw or delos. I got my delos because I didn't get on with the 100 degree ethos. Too wide for me especially at higher power so it's perfecly possible not to like ultra wides. Still it would be a strange world if we all agreed on everything

You've got me intrigued John and Alan... I can only hope the desire for ultra-wides doesn't engulf my wallet and all it's contents :Envy:.

Still, you never know, I could look through an ultra wide and hate the really wide view.... :rolleyes:

Anything is possible :D but the only cure for ultra wide-itis is to look through an Ethos :evil: it also helps the bank balance too because it curbs any further spending on the 82s :D:eek: (that's my excuse story and I'm sticking to it :rolleyes: )

I no Michael hf Wilkinson loves the pentax 12mm, so if he rates them then that's good enough for me

I actually have the XF8.5 which is great. My comments on the XF12 are simply by extrapolation, and that some others on the cloudynights compared them to Radians and obtained similar results.

Hi Naemeth,

For what it's worth, I use the 5 and 12 mm BST eps all the time in my 130p. Those and the 30mm and the "workhorses". I can weigh them when I get in if you want?

I have wondered if I should've bought better - but it seems redundant without a much better scope. I figured having eps that cost much more than the scope and mount was wrong. If I ever get a much bigger scope I might the do a rolling replace of (or possibly, add to) the BSTs, but I don't think there'd be a benefit now.

Hi Naemeth,

For what it's worth, I use the 5 and 12 mm BST eps all the time in my 130p. Those and the 30mm and the "workhorses". I can weigh them when I get in if you want?

I have wondered if I should've bought better - but it seems redundant without a much better scope. I figured having eps that cost much more than the scope and mount was wrong. If I ever get a much bigger scope I might the do a rolling replace of (or possibly, add to) the BSTs, but I don't think there'd be a benefit now.

It's alright Andy. I can see where you are coming from, but to me a good quality eyepiece will show the best of whatever optics are there, they never need to be replaced (barring collisions with the ground).

There is a TeleVue 11mm Plossl that I have just enquired about on ABS, I just had to jump at the chance :D.

:) Well, the "I'll never have to upgrade" has a certain appeal! Are you thinking of a big fast scope later, then?

Potentially, yes. As big as possible without using a step ladder (I'm 6 foot). Theoretically, the limit is at about 1.8m focal length, which means either:

16" F/4.5, 18" F/4, 20" F/3.6, 22" F/3.27, 24" F/3

The most realistic are probably the 16", 18" or possibly the 20". Without good eyepieces, I'll get a lot of astigmatism (I imagine) at any of these focal ratios, certainly at F/3 :Envy:.

It has an appeal, but then there are always new lures :evil6:

There is indeed, but there are always times when you use certain eyepieces over others. Sometimes, you will want the best performance on a given object (ie Orthos), other times the most comfortable (Lots of eye relief, eg. LVs / Radians), the widest view (Ethos / Nagler / ExSc), most convenient and to get the best out of the conditions (Zooms), a mix of all (Delos / Pentax), small field to concentrate on planets (Abbe-Orthos and Monocentrics). The list of different traits you need on different nights because you are in a different mood is huge, and there isn't one eyepiece (or eyepiece range) that covers them all. This is why it can get expensive fast, nevermind the cost of the individual EPs :Envy:

Naemeth,

The trouble with the likes of the Nagler is a simple one, they are more-ish, a bit like double chocloate cookies. This is coming from a man that once said what the hell does anyone want an eyepiece with an 82 degree FOV for. Now of course like John I have a hole in the bank account big enough to fit a London bus in.

I see now the problem with the focuser, not really designed for big eyepieces. The T6 range though is light and is large at the high power end with EP's from 13mm down to 2.5mm with regular stops on the way. I have 3 of them and once had the 13mm as well, The 9mm is very good indeed though there are no dogs in the range.

I will ckeck what you bought after the Holiday, 36.3 outside at the moment and still going up.

Alan.

Naemeth,

The trouble with the likes of the Nagler is a simple one, they are more-ish, a bit like double chocloate cookies. This is coming from a man that once said what the hell does anyone want an eyepiece with an 82 degree FOV for. Now of course like John I have a hole in the bank account big enough to fit a London bus in.

I see now the problem with the focuser, not really designed for big eyepieces. The T6 range though is light and is large at the high power end with EP's from 13mm down to 2.5mm with regular stops on the way. I have 3 of them and once had the 13mm as well, The 9mm is very good indeed though there are no dogs in the range.

I will ckeck what you bought after the Holiday, 36.3 outside at the moment and still going up.

Alan.

Found an 11mm TV plossl on ABS, just waiting for the email back :).

Alan, funny you should say 'more-ish', John posted the same thing two years ago :)

Good for you Justyn :)

If it's your 1st Nagler, you do realise that it's a slippery slope ? - they are very "moreish" :rolleyes:

()

The T6 range is light, and the eye relief is nicely between abbe-orthos / high power plossls and the LVs. For when I want some comfort, but not all the way to 20mm.

Archived