Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Autumn Equinox Sky Camp 2013

Hi all

Anyone going to this?

Particularly interested in anyone that is staying the week after the main weekend ( 4th - 6th October) as I can't make the weekend so booked on for 3 nights the following week.

Hope I'm not on my own :sad:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We usually stay a week after the main SP, however this year we have booked the previous two weeks. But Kelling Heath phoned today to let us know there would be a caravan club rally in the red field, that they are fully booked, and not much chance of any astro, so we might swap our week before to the week after and see you there :)

There's always quite a few that stay on, including the deaf astronomers and a few more SGL'ers :)

We'll be there on Red 108 till Tues of the week after main weekend. If we're enjoying ourselves we might stay a day or two more.

The deaf folks come every year from different deaf societies all over the UK and have a communal pitch usually in the red area - about a dozen of them. One of their organisers (Dave) has partial hearing and normal speech - so speak to him in the first instance if you're interested.

You'll be impressed at the astronomy they do - mostly observing and sketching with big dobs - but all sorts of other astro related projects as well. Look up Jack for a chat about his orrery.... :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I managed to blag about the last pitch available, but sadly they don't have anything on Friday.

So I'll be there Sat and Sunday on pitch Red 423.

From previous last minute booking kelling experience, it'll probably be in a forest : (

Hope to see some of you there!

Anton

• 2 weeks later...

With two weeks to go, I've just spent the evening testing all my kit to make sure it works.   In particular, I've been checking that my new (to me) laptop is talking to the camera, mount, guide camera, focuser etc.  All seems to be working. 

I am now officially excited!!! :D  :D  :D

Do people frequencly have Dew issues at the Autumn Sky party ?

Last year I had my 6" reflector which I'm not sure ever dewed up on me.

This year I'm bringing an 80mm refractor and a widefield imaging rig and I'm wondering whether I should invest in a dew band before I go.

Most of my imaging at home is on a balcony so dew is rarely an issue for me.

Thanks,

Anton

Thanks Kim,

Yes, I've got a giant pitch, but it has trees to the north and south of me within 10 feet  :)

No surprise that it was the last pitch available......

I guess I'll ask around when I get there and see if someone doesn't mind me setting up my imaging rig on the edge of a pitch with better visibility.

I only need about 4ft of space and somewhere to hook in an a power extension lead.

The PST sounds great Peter, I didn't get a chance to see one in action at Kelling last time.

Thanks,

Anton

@badgers - You can still join in with the EMS crowd if you want a clearer place to set up. Let me know if you want to do that and I'll tell them to expect you. You may even get an invite to the Sat night bbq lol :)

@Peter - I'll be sure to wonder over your way for a natter and a glimpse through that. :)

Hi I will be there Friday through Monday, in one of the lodges.

I know somone who has been to Kelling Heath before - they told me that the lodges are all under trees and no good for observing.

I only have a dob and a small refractor (i.e. no power required), so I was wondering what options there are to setup somewhere more suitable?

Where about's is your lodge Jim ?

We had some people from the lodges set up in the blue field with us last year, there was plenty of space.

Especially along the accessway for cars. It's not used (hopefully) after sundown. 

(Although I do seem to remember some clown with what seemed like full beam turning up after lights out last year...)

Anton

Archived