Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I need help ....

daz

Here's a little detail on that site in LLanthony;

http://www.llanthony.co.uk/wain_house.html - thats the barn in question. Depends how well you guys get on!!

This is the farmhouse and farmer whose land borders the priory

http://www.llanthony.co.uk/court_farm.html

Erm, perhaps I should add that I am perhaps a little TOO used to roughing it. Have spent a few nights sleeping in the open withotu even a tent, so even being under a car could be classed as more luxurious. Just depends on the expectations I guess??? Do many SGLers have caravans?

At any rate, i'll help if I can.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

First thing..... Anywhere in the peak district will have a degree of LP... I should know :wink:

But all of you ask yourself this "What is the best my back yard can offer me?". In most cases you're looking at Mag 3ish, Visually.

Now ask yourself this "is it worth me traveling to a site that can offer me a Mag 5 - 6 sky whilst retaining comfort and convenience and where I will be among friends?"..

As Daz has found out, it's much harder to organise a star party than one would first think... There are just so many damn factors to consider.

Travel time, LP, ammenities, cooperation by owners, cost of pitch, elecy hookups, condition of site, just to name a few..

If you're looking for something in the Peak District, you'll be hard pushed to find somewhere that is totally suitable. What you have to remember is that you'll NEVER, EVER, please everyone. To attempt to do so will send you insane.

Daz, you have my admiration for attempting the task... But if you like, you and all the other SGLers would be well recieved at Novembers Peak Star Party.

Granted, Greenhills isn't ideal... But it will act as a stop gap until a better site appears. Trust me I'm always looking !!

I think Lincolnshire offers some of the darkest panaramics in central England...

Rich..

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to back Andrew up as there's a good few of us north of the border who would see the Welsh borders as too far. Derbyshire is also a hike, but more manageable. Also, I was in the peak district a couple of months ago for a long weekend and was reasonably impressed with the sky. The milky way showed as a nice bright stripe, and this was just outside the national park area. I didn't do the "count the stars in the square of Pegasus" which is my usual test, as it poured for the next two days, before I got a chance.

Like Andrew, I'd love to come too and it is arguably, as much about meeting up as star gazing (let's face it, the odds are that it will pee down the whole time we're there).

Cheers, Martin

Talking of rain........ I spent a month in the Peak district and it only rained twice the whole time............

Once for a week, and the second time for 3!................. :rolleyes::) :laughing3: :laughing6: :laughing6: :laughing6:

Archived