Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I need help ....

daz

What about the Lake District easily accessed from the M6.

... and has the highest rainfall in England!

Well, we have to keep the lakes topped up you know. :icon_jokercolor:

I like your web pages, and your compact and bijou observatory. Also, you are a lucky guy with a very considerate wife, telling you to spend all that money :rolleyes:

Ron. :embarassed:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im a member of UkCS and Daz posted a question on there a while back without much success if i remember rightly.

I have searched through some of the sites myself , with mixed results :embarassed:

I've been doing the same with the same mixed results, you find a big enough site then find there's no leccy, or dodgy toilets, you then find one in a dark spot with everything you need that has 8 pitches. Then you find another good one thats in the middle of a large town... and I bet there's loads that aren't even listed anywhere :rolleyes: :?

I've been playing around at work* with my GIS app and with a scanned in version of the Phillips Dark Sky map have created a layer showing the area in the Welsh border region/Shropshire etc that is marked with a deep blue colour (i.e. pretty dark) and extracted the names of every settlement within that area. I guess I'll start going through it methodically and see if anything turns up...

James

*Ahem - in my own time, not the taxpayers :icon_jokercolor:

I think Tony mentione Lakeside Holidays earlier. I'm not sure if New House Farm has leccy or a pub but their conservatory might have to do. Being an isolated place they may be more flexible towards our requirements though...

I've been concentrating on the English side of the Welsh border - are we contemplating the Welsh side as well? (Should broaden the choice a bit).

James

• 4 weeks later...

The colours come from a google earth overlay and are a little bright. The Philips Dark Skies paper map I've got puts this campsite in a dark blue area (which is pretty dark) so perhaps its darker than the Google overlay suggests.

Regarding lighting - perhaps they'd turn the lighting off for us?

James

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE:

Well, after much searching and digging around, I cannot locate a suitable camp site, farmers field or rally site that can accommodate us all.

I have kept away from South Wales because members in the north did not want to travel down that far, and holding it further up in the north excludes members from the South for the same reason.

The only other suggestion I have is that we hold a Northern and Southern SGL4 this year and I try again to find a suitable location for next year. That said, if someone comes up with a suitable venue, then please let me know.

I have to say I was a bit peeved at some of the negative comments that came back to me about this, after all, I don't get paid for this and I don't have the time to travel round to all parts of the country to review camp sites and asses their suitability.

A disappointed Daz

Daz,

I'm sorry to hear you have received negative comments. I'd like to say thanks, on my behalf at least, for your efforts. Trying to find somewhere to tick so many boxes was a hospital pass.

Although it is a shame to do so, I think your suggestion of a north and a south star party is probably the only practical solution.

Mike

Daz,

May I offer my total support and admiration for the organising that you have put into the previous and future starparties..

All I would like to say to any members of this forum who have passed negative comments regarding your organisational skills is ....

Go and organise one yourself...

Greg

Indeed, I think some people don't realise just how much effort goes into trying to organise a site that will hold in excess of 50 people that's accessable for everyone but with minimal light pollution. I certainly appreciate Daz's efforts and it must be bleedin' annoying not to have found anywhere that will do. Fingers crossed something will get sorted, I know won't be without for the want of trying.

Tony..

Thanks for your support guys :D

Like I say, if someone finds somewhere suitable, I'll be happy to do the honours.

I am as much frustrated as disappointed with not being able to find anywhere as I know many people were looking forward to it........

It goes with the territory Daz and indicates a person who has never organised anything in their lives, well not very well anyway.

My preference is for a single star party but then living quite centrally it's easy for me to say that. We could alternate sites each year. If it suits the southerners then the northerners can do their own thing and vice versa the next year.

Daz, I haven't been here (on SGL) long, but it takes a lot of effort to try and set something like this up. And even though it's unlikely I could make it easily, wherever it ended up being held, I'm grateful that people do make the effort as one day I'd like to join you all.

Go and organise one yourself...

I hope you guys realise the amount of restrain it took to post that and not my real feelings on the matter.... 8)

If I can get the time off i'll go anywhere me...This week I mostly eeatin...Teeernips.. :D

I go for the company first and sky second..

Is this still being pursued, or is it dead in the water?

I only ask because as a regular anorak, sorry caravaner, I have been to a fair few sites in the area you were looking at.

How important is the electricity factor?

As a side note, the little 'village' of Llanthony on the Welsh border is the darkest place I have ever been. So much so that the 200 yard trek back from the pub to the campsite had to be navigated down the single track lane in total blackness. You really could literally, not see a hand in front of your face.

I am friendly with the farmer who lives next to Llanthony Priory, and he sometimes lets his field to camping groups, including one which has a huge firework display. There are some facilities, and also a 'bunk barn' which sleeps 16 which can be booked. This has cooking and showering facilities. If needs be I can get in touch and ask about the logistics of supplying electricty etc, as there is no provision via hookup etc at the moment.

Personally, I have access to a generator, but it just depends on everybodies needs. I guess it is also getting late to book a large number of slots for May.

I used to be a member of the caravan club, I wonder if their info dept would be obliging? They regularly organise and supervise rallies for large groups. Worth asking perhaps?? Lots of sites have 'rally fields', but as these are usually just for weekends, most caravanners are able to get by that long without elec. hookup.

Thanks for all your time btw, much appreciated.

Cheers

TJ

Archived