SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

I need help ....

daz

Well, you all knew that anyway, however....

I need help in finding a suitable camp site for SGL 4. The dates are Thursday 1st May to Sunday 4th May (3 nights) and although I'm open to suggestions, I think the Welsh borders area is preferable, as this gives an average of 4-6 hours travelling for most people.

We're looking for somewhere that can accommodate up to 40 pitches and don't mind us turning out lights, up till all hours, etc. ... Ideally, if we could book the whole camp site we will - makes it easier for everyone!

Facilities needed - well, leccy hookup for as many as possible, showers, toilets, pub, etc.

So, if you know of anywhere suitable, get in touch with me please :(

Many thanks

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yes, but there aren't any SGL members up here :(

I've found two promising sounding places in the Peak district. Especially the first one:

BRING A TORCH! Rivendale has minimal lighting to prevent light pollution so you can see the stars!

it's got two fields, electric hook-up, showers, bar...

The site shop stocks a complete range of goods including groceries, books and magazines, toys, souvenirs and fresh local dairy produce. A selection of caravan accessories are available and there are exchange facilities for both Calor and Camping Gas. Dogs on leads are very welcome but are excluded from the shop and toilet blocks. The two excellent ablution blocks provide hot showers at no extra cost, deep sinks for clothes washing and outside sinks for pots. In addition there is a coin operated laundry, drying and ironing facilities adjoining a small playroom with amusement machines.

cheers

Andrew

I should perhaps say that please don't go phoning round - I don't want to annoy camp site owners by having 17 SGL'ers making the same enquiry!! :mrgreen:

Let me have the details and then I can coordinate things.

Ta :(

I should perhaps say that please don't go phoning round - I don't want to annoy camp site owners by having 17 SGL'ers making the same enquiry!! :mrgreen:

wouldn't even think of it :(

Rivendale is about as remote as it's possible to get in central England.

exactly. Isn't it much more accessible for more people? And isn't it more about meeting fellow SGL members than having the darkest skies possible? Surely getting a bigger turnout is preferable to a .2 increase in limiting magnitude...

Can we vote on this?

I so wanna come to this...

cheers

Andrew

I'm going to back Andrew up as there's a good few of us north of the border who would see the Welsh borders as too far. Derbyshire is also a hike, but more manageable. Also, I was in the peak district a couple of months ago for a long weekend and was reasonably impressed with the sky. The milky way showed as a nice bright stripe, and this was just outside the national park area. I didn't do the "count the stars in the square of Pegasus" which is my usual test, as it poured for the next two days, before I got a chance.

Like Andrew, I'd love to come too and it is arguably, as much about meeting up as star gazing (let's face it, the odds are that it will pee down the whole time we're there).

Cheers, Martin

I'm going to back Andrew up as there's a good few of us north of the border who would see the Welsh borders as too far. Derbyshire is also a hike, but more manageable. Also, I was in the peak district a couple of months ago for a long weekend and was reasonably impressed with the sky. The milky way showed as a nice bright stripe, and this was just outside the national park area. I didn't do the "count the stars in the square of Pegasus" which is my usual test, as it poured for the next two days, before I got a chance.

Like Andrew, I'd love to come too and it is arguably, as much about meeting up as star gazing (let's face it, the odds are that it will pee down the whole time we're there).

Cheers, Martin

Here here Martin.

I agree, the Peak District is just about driveable from "Up Here in Scotland". I would certainly be interested.

Tom

What about the Lake District easily accessed from the M6. Surely a good site could be found there. If were talking about April May, it shouldn't be too busy there. I am biased of course, it's only a few miles travel for me.

What a bout top of Hevellyn :( We would need a few Sherpas mind you.

Ron.

The Lake District is quite a long drive for those of us in the southwest! (or on the south coast, or in the south east). :D

James

I know James, It was tongue in cheek when I suggested it. I didn't expect a favourable response. :(

Whats Lincolnshire like for dark skies? Seems pretty central for all folks? I've no idea, which is why I'm asking :embarassed:

Andy.

Or South Cambridgeshre :rolleyes:. Erm... anyways, the Fens which covers Lincs (and Cambs) would be good as there's not loads of big towns and it's 'big sky' country (ie: flat as a pancake) but as it's on the East Coast, it's a bit of trek for people for people from the South West. Saying that, somewhere around Rutland could be good. If you're coming from say, Exeter :icon_jokercolor: it'll be approx only another hour than if you was going to Kelling.

One thing to see is if they have a Rally Field as this is usually set to one side so may be easier to book

Rally Field? Is that a field where we can do power slides and doughnuts?? 8) 8)

I was going to suggest the Peaks/Derbyshire but I think it won't be 'proper' dark skies due to the closeish proximity to large towns as Tom has already mentioned. Problem is Central England is fairly chocka with largeish towns and you'd have a job finding somewhere without a fair bit of light pollution that will let us lot take it over for a long weekend.

Tony..

Archived