Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Cable Confusion

Hi, I have a Skywatcher Merlin mount using ‘Synscan AZ’. I would like to connect this mount up to my laptop running Win XP 32-bit O/S and control the mount using Stellarium. The kit came with a RJ11 to Serial cable to connect the handset (mine is version 3.08) to a computer serial port. Alas my laptop does not have a serial port and I am getting confused over the right cable I need to connect between the computer and the handset. I am also really confused as to whether, even with the right cable, I would need any additional software to allow communication with Stellarium.

I would really appreciate a layman’s guide to what cable and any additional software I would need to do this.

Thanks in advance.

Steve.

Hi and thanks Dave, I have been able to do a dry run using Stellarium to control my mount using the cable you pointed me to. It feels so empowering! Just need those dark clear skies now to have a proper go. Thanks once more.

Cheers,

Steve

Archived