Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

WO Z71 ED or TS 66 Quad

I have narrowed my search for a smaller scope than my SW ED80 to either the new 2013 WO ZS71 ED or the TS 66 Quad.

My dilemma is do I go for the quad optics of the TS 66 at the slower f6.5 or the faster optics of the WO Z71 at f4.72 (with the additional reducer/flattener).

I am leaning towards the WO with our fickle skies in the central UK region. Any pointers anyone?.

cheers

Steve

Think it'd be the faster optics for me. A pair of the ZS71 is on my shortlist for the next twin shooter. I was put off the 66 quad by the bad start they had with pinching optics too. I've seen some nice NB images taken with the ZS71 but not really RGB. A bit of RGB star bloat is something I'm aware of with my ZS66 so would be keen on making sure that isn't present in the 71 before committing. The ED80 optics are hard to beat at this end of the market.

• 1 month later...

Did you get the ZS71 or TS65mm in the end? I can't decide what to get....wonder if they ever sorted the issues with the TS scope?

I've picked up a ZS71 (2013). Nice little scope.. its sort of cute :eek: if you can describe a scope like that.

I've started a thread over here where I'll update my findings as I go along.

http://stargazerslou...hootout-begins/

I've picked up a ZS71 (2013). Nice little scope.. its sort of cute :eek: if you can describe a scope like that.

I've started a thread over here where I'll update my findings as I go along.

http://stargazerslou...hootout-begins/

Hi,

I too was looking at the TS 66 QUAD but on reading about it I believe that there was a problem with optics in the extreme cold weather, I believe it was called pinched optics. If the WO ZS 71 does not produce false colours around stars and keep the aberrations under control then it is a winner. Quite a good price too given the 0.8 FF/FR comes with with it for about £450.00. I would be interested in your opinion as I was thinking about getting one but there is not a lot of info about it around.

A.G

I finally chose the WO Z71ED. It is some scope for your money. Solidly built

and oozes quality. I have imaged in narrowband Ha OIII SII with the scope and so far the

images are really good. I also purchased the dedicated WO x0.80 mark IV reducer / flattener

and my stars are nice and round across the entire field. The acid test will be RGB which

I will be attempting now the nights are starting to draw in.

cheers

Steve

and oozes quality. I have imaged in narrowband Ha OIII SII with the scope and so far the

images are really good. I also purchased the dedicated WO x0.80 mark IV reducer / flattener

and my stars are nice and round across the entire field. The acid test will be RGB which

cheers

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the report, will be good to see what the scope can do with RGB captures, that is the acid test as to the quality of the optics. I am hoping that

the outcome is positive.

Regards,

A.G

• 2 weeks later...

cheers

Steve

Ah great! i would love to see some images you have taken with the new scope!

Ah great! i would love to see some images you have taken with the new scope!

Hi Jim,

I am imaging in narrowband HaOIIISII at present and boy does it require longer imaging time.

Still collecting data on the precious little time I get imaging (can only image on Friday nights due to work commitments).

Hopefully should post some pics when I get my head around narrowband processing :huh: :huh: :huh:

cheers

Steve

Archived