Astro/Cosmology holiday reading recommendations?

JamesF

I'm after recommendations for astro- or cosmology-related books to read whilst we're on holiday (when I can often get through a book a day if it's not 800 pages and the going isn't too heavy). Don't mind if it's historical or about current thinking. By way of illustration in previous year's I've read plenty of Dawkins, Feynman's "Six Easy Pieces" etc., Brian Cox & Jeff Forshaw's offerings, Simon Singh's "Big Bang" and so on. I did struggle with Brian Greene's "The Elegant Universe", particularly the second half, and ended up having to have several bites at that one. By all means add any other science-related books that happen to have appealed to you.

James

Not sure if these are really what you are looking for, but these 3 are on my list for reading when I get a chance.

They are the books in The Sky's Dark Labyrinth Trilogy by Stuart Clark:

The Sky's Dark Labyrinth

The Sensorium of God

The Day without Yesterday

They are written about Galileo, Newton and Einstein respectively, and whilst they are technically considered historical fiction, from what I can gather a lot of the information in them is fact. The author is an astronomer so I'm led to believe the science is also correct.

I've not read them yet, so I don't actually know if they are any good but they did get good reviews.

Archived