Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

IC 1396 with the cooled canon 350D

Luis Campos

Another clear night, another image made smile.gif This is IC 1396, a huge molecular cloud in Chepeus at the border of Cygnus constelation, the "Elephant trunk nebula" is seen at the lower right on this field, also any dark and intrincate dust nebulas are present in this area of the sky giving a touch of beauty to the scene.

Only two hours worth of data on this one, the moon was present at the first hour of capture so one hour worth of 10 min. sub went to to trash bin...not good enought. Setup used was: Altair astro (Astro Tech) 200mm f/4 imaging newtonian, Baader MPCC, TEC cooled and modded canon 350D, EQ6 go to mount, autoguided with a GPUSB and a 50mm modified finder , stack of 12x10 min. @ 400 ISO, no darks used, only bias and flats (40 each).

Hope you enjoy:

http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/

And in mono, if you prefer:

http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/

Greets from Portugal,

Luís Campos

• 2 weeks later...

Great image Luis, as are your others! Out of curiosity, how much did it cost to mod that 350D?

Hi there,

Thanks ;)

Well, the filter modd if you do it youself and simply remove the filter (full spectrum modd) costs zero, if you place a Baader filter is about 80 eur. or something like that, about the cooling I spent around 60 eur. maybe, the TEC unit, heat dissipating plate/fan, thermal paste, and some wiring...and a lot of hours into it...:)

Next I will do the same out of a 450D, this is much easier then the 350D as the mechanics involved are simplier, with the 450D i think I'll just leave it like a "normal camera" with the original body / screen, etc, but with cooling nonetheless.

Greets,

Hi there,

Thanks ;)

Well, the filter modd if you do it youself and simply remove the filter (full spectrum modd) costs zero, if you place a Baader filter is about 80 eur. or something like that, about the cooling I spent around 60 eur. maybe, the TEC unit, heat dissipating plate/fan, thermal paste, and some wiring...and a lot of hours into it... :)

Next I will do the same out of a 450D, this is much easier then the 350D as the mechanics involved are simplier, with the 450D i think I'll just leave it like a "normal camera" with the original body / screen, etc, but with cooling nonetheless.

Greets,

I look forward to your mod, please do images and update us as you go... :)

Am sure there are many on here that will enjoy it..

I think the colour is perfect. Not easy on this one. You also have excellent star colour which is rarely seen in DSLR images.

Olly

Salut Olly,

Thank you, yes I took extra care on stars, but still I have some problems to solve, at f/4 it shows every tiny bit of problems that you might have in the optical train, and I think my sensor is not perfectly flat, it doens't show with my 12" f/5 and much less with the little ED80 but with this 8" f/4 the corners and the lower part of the image have a soft focus (it's good at the center though...) still work to do :)

Greets,

Look forward to seeing images with that 450d.

Do you still need to take darks with your modded camera?

I didn't use darks on this image and with the "new" 450D much less :)

When stretching bias with a dark frame side by side they are almost identical except for the amp glow on the darks...but it's fairly easy to process the amp glow out so...:)

As the 450D has no amp glow, I think I can totally forget about darks, this is good as I can grab more data at the end of the night as I don't waste time with darks.

Greets,

Very nice Lewis, Remarkable amount of data

captured at iso 400, for an hours worth of subs

And very nicely processed.

Well done, and good luck with your 450d mod.

Paul

Cheers Paul,

Many thanks, hope all goes well with the modd ;)

Bye,

I look forward to your mod, please do images and update us as you go... :)

Am sure there are many on here that will enjoy it..

Hi Guy,

Will do, I hope to give the "cooling fever" to others, I don't see myself going with no cooling any more...just no way! :grin:

Bye,

Archived