Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

AstroAndy

M51, M57, M63 & M94

Here are a few DSOs I imaged.

They are M51, the Whirlpool Galaxy, a stacked stack of 1x10m, 2x15m, 2x20m, M94, the Croc's Eye Galaxy, one 10m exposure, M57, the Ring Nebula in Lyra, one 3m exposure, and M63, 27 3m exposures, all guided and calibrated.

post-26582-0-97407100-1371410652_thumb.jpost-26582-0-79113800-1371410846_thumb.jpost-26582-0-76887600-1371410878_thumb.jpost-26582-0-47987500-1371410909_thumb.j

• Like 3

A very nice collection, the ring nebula in particular for me

Same here :) If you'd like constructive criticism, M51 and M94 are overexposed or over stretched and have blown the cores.

Thanks, guys, aye, Gina, constructive criticism is always welcome, I have yet to figure out how to layer in shorter exposures into longer ones (for the cores). Strange as it sounds, I'm still ahead (because my guiding is now good enough to overexpose, lol, 20m @ a stretch is not bad, if I do say so myself). Seems if I change the midtones (for the cores) I lose detail in the spiral arms.

Some good attempts there :) I tried imaging the Crocs Eye the other week and it didn't turn out as good as yours, it's so easy to burn out the core (like I did).

Very nice. Another vote for the Ring. But i am biased - I love that object, my fave DSO after M81. But you've done it proud with that! :)

Congrats Andy.. You have some nice images there..