Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
broadsword

Program's compatible with Windows 8

Hi all, I'm about to invest in a laptop for astroimaging (camera control and processing) but I noticed all in the high street now come with Windows 8. Will my favourite programmes (Deep Sky Stacker, Gimp, Pixinsight) all run OK? I've looked on the web and seen mixed opinions.

You can get good quality used Win 7 machines from Morgan for good prices.

I have all my astro software working fine on my Sony laptop running windows 8 atik capture software , phd,dss, eqmod ,imaging source dmk camera and software. Will admit I'm not bowled over with windows 8 its due a relaunch with some improvements and is a little strangely organised but soon got used to it

Thanks guys, looks promising.

I'm going for a new laptop rather than an old, Gina, as it will also be the family PC and it needs to have good longevity. Anyone have any sparkling recommendations in the range of £500?

Thanks guys, looks promising.

I'm going for a new laptop rather than an old, Gina, as it will also be the family PC and it needs to have good longevity. Anyone have any sparkling recommendations in the range of £500?

Acer Aspire E1-571. I just bought one new for 489 euros (£417) in PCWorld here in Dublin.It runs windows 8 which takes a bit of getting to find your way around but it has a desktop mode which most of us are familiar with. I went for the i5 processor over the i3 and a 750Gig HD rather then 500Gig

http://www.pcworld.i...r/314591/104.10

Edited by LukeSkywatcher

I have found that Win8 is pretty compatible with any apps that run on Win7. But i do use ClassicShell ( http://www.classicshell.net ) as it is pretty good at giving you that win7 start menu back again.