SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Alert: Bright Supernova in NGC4414

BinocularSky

Skies don't look very good here at the moment :(

Note that I am very surprised that this Type IIb is fading so fast. However Type IIb SN have a second second peak in the light curve, and the steep descent observed matches that after the primary peak better than that after the secondary peak in the image below. All might not be lost. If the peak was on June 10, the dip should be about now, and the secondary (brighter!) peak should be around June 30. Fingers crossed

Comparative_supernova_type_light_curves.png

One to keep an eye on then :smiley:

They are not much to look at but take on a lot more significance when you consider the event you are witnessing and how long ago it happened.

I've managed to spot a SN with my ED120 refractor. It was SN2012AW in March last year. The host galaxy was M95 in Leo and the SN got to around mag 12.5 I think and one of the brightest there has been for some time. I've seen a few others with larger aperture scopes.

When you consider this event was shining with the power of 500 million suns it's quite astounding :shocked:

One of those pictures on the Rochester site is mine from earlier in the week :-) No chance to do anything since though because of the weather. It would be good to record its progress over the coming days and weeks....

Helen

NGC 4414 last night close to midnight, managed 3 X 60 second images (then thick clouds rolled in) and then stacked there it is, that's with high thin clouds, half a moon just below and the NEQ6 2 star Align , Polar Align, then 1 star Align dropped it right in the middle of the 1100D sensor.....

NGC 4414 last night close to midnight, managed 3 X 60 second images (then thick clouds rolled in) and then stacked there it is, that's with high thin clouds, half a moon just below and the NEQ6 2 star Align , Polar Align, then 1 star Align dropped it right in the middle of the 1100D sensor.....

Did you forget to post the image?

Archived