sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Hi,

Another picture of Saturn from up north. It was pretty windy and the seeing wasn't too good so I was pleased with this capture. I took 4 in total at 8000 frames each, they were mostly the same, but this run had a slight edge on the others. It is 40% frames with a C11, DFK21 and a TV 2x barlow.

Robin

AS_p40_Drizzle15_Saturn-13-6-13-2x-4-g861-e19th-r6a.jpg

• Like 3

Very nice photo. Given the conditions last night Id be very proud of that. All the main features are nicely visible. I always like it when you can see the shadow of the planet on the rings and try to imagine the view standing on the night side of Saturn with the rings high in the night sky.

At least you are able to get out Robin, weather here is terribly cloudy.

I am not 100% sure but i think WinJupos can Derotate OSC captures, i think on the image measurement you select COLOUR on the 'adj' tab thensave the ims file, you may get to stack 2 or more captures this way.

Well done though Robin nice capture.

Very good result Robin, I to braved the wind to get out and actually got better conditions than I was expecting - Sad to say that Saturn is slipping away from us all at UK Latts, but nice to get some parting shots in against all odds ;)

Thanks everyone. Typical of me, just start to get all the kit sorted in time to miss the best. I will try to be early next year, or even on time.

I might go back and try another process, or join a couple of the AVIs together to see if I can improve the detail and reduce the noise, the picture published was stacked around midnight.

I am toying with the idea of buying a mono camera/filters for DSOs and have an old DMK21, which might work quite well on Saturn/Jupiter, it is twice as sensitive as a DFK21AU618 so should be good. I am guessing atmospheric disturbance is easier to deal with with RGB imaging?

Robin

Hi,

I finally combined all four AVIs to give me 29,000 frames to work with. This image is 20% of those, so nearly 6000 frames, I think it is a slight improvement.

Robin

AS_p20_Drizzle15_Saturn-13-6-13-2x-1-g881-e19th_pipp-2b.jpg