Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

AZ EQ6 home position

pragmatist

In the manual is says tripod head levelled...agree. RA axis points towards north celestial pole which yes i understand but then says counterweight rod is at it's lowest position. Is that correct? It makes it almost vertical. Sorry but i'm new to this.

I followed some excellent advice on youtube with the Astronomy shed but am struggling with the home position as suggested by the manual. Does this seem right?

Are you trying for the home position for EQ mode or alt az mode? If its EQ then the scope and the counterweight bar will be pointing towards the pole so at the same angle as your latitude. You'll need to do a polar align first.

Helen

Your home position is the position you start the scope from. When you set the mount up and have it pointing north the counter weight bar should be pointing down towards the ground. You then rotate by hand in RA to position Polaris through the polar finder and lock the clutch. Once you have done this you then release the clutch and return the mount to the postion you started from which is the home position. Then you start your polar alignment.

Archived