SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello everyone

rawhead

My name is Jon and I live in North Norfolk, UK. I’m a computer programmer (Back end stuff on the AS400) I’m happily married with two young uns..

I bought my Tal 2M about 3 years ago. On a tight budget, I researched my choice of scope with diligent fervour over many weeks I was dreaming telescopes. I then went and bought the wrong one. :( It’s very heavy and quite impractical. After a few weeks of lumping it about, gave up and put it back in its box. I’ve only ever looked at the moon. (All the ‘good’ planets conveniently disappeared for the year)

I have just bought a new camera (Nikon D40) and took some un-magnified pics of the Moon and Mars. Found the comet in my bins and also found my enthusiasm. :D Two weeks ago I rebuilt the scope and am waiting for a clear night to point it at Mars…

Last time out I struggled to find anything at all, didn’t get it colominated or even manage a polar alignment… Hopefully I will have better luck this time. I’m more realistic about obtaining Hubble like images that are scattered all over the web.

My first target is some decent pics of the moon. I have just got to work out how to couple the camera to the scope without spending too much cash. I will hopefully stick with it this time and get to know you all better. Cheers.

JB

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome Jon.

You'll find the folks here have enough enthusiasm for all of us :(

Tal (from what I've heard) are very nice scopes!

Assuming that the tal has a 2" focuser I suspect that you'll need the following to attached the camera to the scope.

One of these £17

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=ae2inchadapter

and one of these £13

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=tadaptor

So it shouldn't break the bank.

Good Luck.

Ant

Thanks for the welcomes and encouragement. Looks like i didn't really give my scope a proper chance...

Welcome Jon.

You'll find the folks here have enough enthusiasm for all of us :D

Tal (from what I've heard) are very nice scopes!

Assuming that the tal has a 2" focuser I suspect that you'll need the following to attached the camera to the scope.

One of these £17

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=ae2inchadapter

and one of these £13

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=tadaptor

So it shouldn't break the bank.

Good Luck.

Ant

Cheers Ant...

Firstly the scope has a 1.25" focuser, I assume this would consequently do the job http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=ae1.25inchadapter

Secondly (the bit I don't understand) using the adaptor and the T ring what actually does the magnifying? I will have no lenses on the camera and no eyepiece in the scope?? :(

Ant will kill me for jumping on his toes here John. Welcome to SGL by the way.

The configuration of camera and scope without intervening camera lens or eyepiece is called prime focus imaging. The image formed by your scopes mirror, is focused directly onto the camera film, or chip. Gives a wider field image as a rule, depending on the focal length of the system.

Ron. :(

Hello Jon and welcome :D

Shame you didn't get on with the Tal to start with. It IS a heavy beast but really is a great scope 8)

Tal2 should have an SLR adapter as standard. Though I never used an SLR with my old one, from what I remember the top inch n half or so of the drawtube (the bit where the eyepiece goes) should unscrew to reveal an M42 thread - standard fit for y'basic russian SLR.

With your selection of Tal2 bits n bobs (screwdriver, brush, filters, crosshair etc) should be a screw-on adapter collar which fits on the M42 thead. This adapter has a T-thread on the top. If you still have this, all you SHOULD hopefully need to buy is a Nikon D40 fit T-ring to attach your camera to the adapter - HTH :(

(As far as the mag' thing you just mentionned is concerned, just imagine your Tal2 as a lens on the camera)

Cheers

Matthew(SR)

Edit:- see pic below for bit to unscrew;

post-13013-133877334343_thumb.jpg

Cheers Ron, I wondered what 'Prime' meant in context with astrophotography, now I know :D

Thanks Matthew! Illustrations as well, brilliant...

I just unscrewed the section you referred to, no problem. Checked through my bits and I do not seem to have the SLR adapter :(

Therefore, what do I need to purchase now? Thanks again.

I just unscrewed the section you referred to, no problem. Checked through my bits and I do not seem to have the SLR adapter :(

Therefore, what do I need to purchase now?

Well you'll need the Nikon fit T-ring anyway Jon so get that. You could get the t-adapter that you posted a link to aswell but you may find that you won't have enough focuser 'in-travel' as it will need to be clamped into the section that is normally removed from the Tal for photography. I've got a spare Tal T adapter collar you can have FOC if you like.

PM on the way.

Well you'll need the Nikon fit T-ring anyway Jon so get that. You could get the t-adapter that you posted a link to aswell but you may find that you won't have enough focuser 'in-travel' as it will need to be clamped into the section that is normall removed from the Tal for photography. I've got a spare Tal T adapter collar you can have FOC if you like.

PM on the way.

Very generous thank you very much. Liking this place more and more :sunny:

Hi jon - welcome to SGL - it's a great forum and you'll learn a lot of helpful tips. Buying a first scope is a difficult choice, as most of us find out too late! Stick with the TAL, I'm sure it will work out.

Good luck with it all.

Ed

Archived